It can be hard working out if your tot has a food allergy. Our nutritionist gives her advice on how to deal with babies with allergies…
1) If there’s a history of allergies, introduce tricky foods one at a time and watch for reactions.
2) Don’t try to diagnose an allergy yourself by restricting your tot’s diet, speak to your GP first.
3) If you’re breastfeeding, try to continue while weaning, as it may reduce the risk of allergies developing as new foods are introduced.
4) If your baby has cow’s milk protein allergy (CMPA), try using a hypoallergenic formula for cooking instead.
5) Read food labels carefully. As well as looking out for a particular food, you’ll need to know about its alternative names.
© Immediate Media Company Ltd 2012. This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited. www.immediatemedia.co.uk