Health experts urge parents to keep out of children’s reach as the number of accidental poisoning rises
Parents should be aware of the risks posed to their children by leaving washing detergent gel capsules under the sink or within reach, the Child Accident Prevention Trust have warned.
Hundreds of children are being accidentally poisoned and admitted to hospital with serious burns to the skin, eyes and throat after biting or eating the gel capsules.
The gels contain concentrated liquid with high levels of chemicals, which are highly hazardous to children, yet few are sold in child-resistant boxes and many parents underestimate the dangers.
Around 100 children under the age of 14 are admitted to hospital each year, and last year 200 enquiries were made about accidents involving two well known households detergent brands. This rise in numbers has prompted the Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAP) to issue the warning to parents.
“We’re worried because inquisitive toddlers can get into the boxes relatively easily and do find the capsules attractive. If toddlers then bite into the capsules, the concentrated chemicals can be harmful,” the chief executive of the Trust, Katrina Phillips has said.
If you are concerned about your child’s safety in and around the house, check out our simple safety guidelines which will help you relax! Don't forget to child proof your home as well.
This is what high cupboards are for! I use the child catches on low cupboards but at 9mths my daughter could pull so hard she broke them - now have a gate across the kitchen door to slow her down but shes now 2 and can open it if given long enough.
I always think if anyhting that looks squashy and interesting to them on TV adverts is not entering my house - sticking to the boring powder!
© Immediate Media Company Ltd 2012. This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited. www.immediatemedia.co.uk