What to do if your child swallows something poisonous

Advice on what to do if your child swallows something poisonous from the British Red Cross

what-to-do-if-your-child-swallows-something-poisonous_70724

It’s a parent’s worst nightmare – finding your child with a half-empty bottle of bleach or something similarly toxic. If you suspect he has swallowed some, you should:

Advertisement
  • Call 999 immediately
  • Try to figure out what he took, how much he has swallowed, and when he might have taken it
  • Remember to take the suspected chemical and any packaging to the hospital so that it can be identified quickly
  • Wipe away any residue from his mouth and give him sips of water
  • DO NOT make him vomit
Advertisement

For more information visit the British Red Cross site.

Comments ()

Please read our Chat guidelines.