Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Makes 5 portions
Suitable for freezing
• 1 small onion, chopped
• ½ small sweet red pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
• 1½ tbsp olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1 chicken breast (about 125g/5oz), cut into pieces
• 2 tbsp apple juice
• 175ml (6fl oz) chicken stock
• 1 medium courgette, chopped
• 200g (7oz) sweet potato, peeled and chopped
• 50g (2oz) frozen peas
• 1 tbsp torn fresh basil, plus extra for garnishing
• mini pitta bread, to serve
1. Sauté the onion and pepper in the oil until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
2. Stir in the chicken and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Pour over the apple juice and stock and stir in the courgette and sweet potato. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
4. Stir in the peas, cook for 3 more minutes, then mix in the basil.
5. Chop or purée to the desired consistency for your child, garnish with basil and serve with mini pitta bread.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com