So many of the breakfast cereals designed specifically for kids are very high in sugar and low in nutrients. A Which survey found that over 85% of the branded cereals tested contained a lot of sugar – some as much as 49%! A shocking 40% contained a lot of salt. But, it’s very easy to make your own delicious muesli using porridge oats, fresh and dried fruits and fresh fruit juices.
Makes 4 portions
• 150g porridge oats (or use a muesli base available at health food stores)
• 40g wheatgerm
• 40g chopped dried apricots
• 25g raisins
• 375ml apple and mango juice
• 1 apple, peeled and grated
• fresh fruit, such as strawberries, kiwi, peaches
1. Soak the oats or muesli base, wheat germ and dried fruits in the juice for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
2. Stir in the grated apple and fruit of your choice.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com