- Where: Galgorm Resort & Spa, Northern Ireland
- Who went: Maeve and Dermot O’Lynn
- Trip: Overnight break without the baby
- In a nutshell: Stress free break in 163 acres of scenic parkland on the banks of the river Maine, with a lively restaurant and bar for evening entertainment and spa treatments, hydrotherapy pool, outdoor hot tub and thermal suite for whiling away the afternoon.
- Best for: The hotel is surrounded by gorgeous grounds to get out and explore on foot, bike or horseback. Or you could just take advantage of the stunning views of the river from the outdoor hot tub instead!
- Watch out for: Galgorm is a very popular wedding venue and people come from miles around for the restaurants, bar and evening entertainment so things can be more festive than tranquil at times.
Review: “Galgorm is a haven of old world gentility with its secluded location, beautiful ornate gardens and regal residents’ lounges. Upstairs, however, is a different story as the chic bedrooms offer an oasis of minimalist style and maximum comfort. From the walk in shower to the glorious views, flat screen TV, Aromatherapy Associates toiletries and king size bed, Galgorm is the perfect escape for stressed mums or mums-to-be. The entire experience is very much added to by the helpful, incredibly friendly staff who cannot do too much to make you feel welcome and to look after you during your stay.
“Downstairs, The Spa at Galgorm offers a wide variety of treatments, including a number of specifically tailored ante-natal treats. I went for the Eve Lom express facial and was delighted to find afterwards that the tell-tale signs of the months of sleepless nights with our eight month-old seemed to have completely vanished. With lavish facilities, velvety soft robes and treatment rooms resplendent with dark panelled wood, soft lighting and elaborately patterned wallpaper, an hour in here makes you feel like you’ve been away for a fortnight. The Thermal spa offers a hydrotherapy infinity pool, sauna, steam room, aroma grotto and various other heat experiences, alongside a well equipped spacious gym and dramatically situated outdoor hot tub.
“After spending the afternoon enjoying the spa and a walk around the magnificent grounds to enjoy the spring sunshine, we sat down to a three course dinner in Gillie’s Bar and Grill for penne carbonara and chicken and chorizo salad and a nice, crisp Chilean chardonnay with a liqueur coffee afterwards for good measure. The bar scene at Galgorm is buzzing and offers live music, pool tables and the outdoor Mulberry Garden for socialising under the stars, but if you’re in search of peace and quiet then the grounds are the perfect place for a moonlit stroll along the river.
Price: from £165 per room, including dinner in Gillies Bar & Grill and unlimited use of the thermal spa.
Packages: Check out the Maine Retreat Package, for a stay in a superior room with strawberries and truffles in your room on arrival or a Rose Petal turndown, dinner in the swanky River Room Restaurant, breakfast in Gillies Bar & Grill and unlimited use of the Thermal Spa throughout your stay. £190 per room Sun, Wed & Thurs, £245 per room Fri & Sat.
Contact: 028 2588 1001