When you’re a child, getting your hair cut for the first time can be a daunting – and scary – experience. You just don’t know what’s going to happen! To make sure your toddler is in expert, child-experienced hands, and to ease your child’s fears, you could try a super-friendly salon that caters especially for children’s needs. After all, having your hair cut can be a fun experience!
Check out our pick of the best children-only hairdressers in the UK. And if you take your child to a children’s salon we haven’t mention, make sure you let us know!
Jim the Trim, Neath, West Glamorgan
This Welsh salon was voted the best in Wales in 2015 for its outstanding work with customers who have autism. One of its barbers made headlines across the UK when photos emerged of how he got on the floor to cut the hair of a child with autism so that the little boy would feel safe and happy having his hair cut.
Prices: £8 for a kids haircut
Contact details: Jim the Trim, 254 Neath Road, Briton Ferry, Neath Port Talbot, SA11 2AX, Phone: 01639 812997
or email: email@example.com
Housing an enormous train track throughout the salon and offering TVs and DVDs for children to watch while waiting for their appointment, this salon is anything but scary. The salon is clad in bright, vibrant colours and invites its guests to get comfy on a red or yellow chair, kick back and relax – no tantrums required!
For the newest recruits to the salon, they offer a ‘My First Haircut’ certificate with a lock of hair as a memento. There’s no minimum age for the hair cutting services. They host children’s themed parties, too.
- Prices: From £11 for children under 12 years, £11.50 for boys over 12 years, £16 for girls over 12 years.
- Special treats: ‘Miss.Makeover’ parties, £15 per child, includes pampering and entertainment, competition prizes and party bags.
- Contact details: Juniors Children’s Hair Salon, 56 Nutfield Road, Merstham, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 3EP, Tel: 01737 64 44 64
Little Big Heads, Cheshire
This airy salon is the one-stop hairdresser for children living in Cheshire and now has two branches: Wilmslow and Bramhall. You can expect personal mini flatscreen TVs, an abundance of toys, soft music and a friendly atmosphere, plus a complimentary BigHead babychino. After your child has their hair styled, they can funk it up with a sprinkle of glitter or hair beads, to send them off with a smile!
- Prices: From £5 for a fringe trim, £20 for a full wash, cut and finish.
- Special treats: Princess parties, £31 per child including three pamper treatments, party tea, disco and gift
- Contact details: Little Big Heads Children’s Salon, 6 Hawthorn Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 1AA. Tel: 01625 548 326 or 6 The Village Square, Bramhall, Cheshire. SK7 1AW. Tel: 0161 439 7953.
Wicked Hair Studio, Newport
Greeted with a stream of bubbles to ease any nerves, your child can park their bottom in one of the novelty car seats to have their hair cut.
There’s a play area for the younger toddlers to be entertained while they wait and personal DVD players for the older children. Once your child’s had the chop, they’ll be sent away with a balloon and a lollipop.
- Prices: From £6.50 for a toddler cut to £22.50 for a full package, which includes wash, cut, style for mum and a toddler dry cut.
- Special treats: Themed parties in the salon, from £15 per child, includes hair styling, face painting and food and drink.
- Contact details: Wicked Hair Studio, 1A Cyril Street, Newport, NP19 ODJ, Tel: 07730 106 713
Bertie & Belle, Hove
Bertie & Belle, Hove, East Sussex
This colourful salon is designed to make life easier for parents, as the aim is on fun – little ones can sit in cars and watch DVDs, while older children have the option of the X-Box hair station or the Curly-Locks hair and nail bar. The salon will also capture baby’s first haircut during a special £15 package including photo.
And don’t worry if your child’s hair is particularly long or unruly, as the salon offers cuts for long, think, curly and Afro hair, as can also deal with head lice during a dedicated removal treatment.
- Prices: From £12.50 for a 15-minute trim, £17.50 for cut and blow dry.
- Special treats: Prom hair is £20, while packages at the pamper bar start from £10 per person for a sparkly mini manicure.
- Contact details: Bertie & Belle, 197 Church Road, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 2AB, Tel: 01273 777 775
Part of London’s children’s hairdressing scene for a decade now, Sally’s has a friendly, relaxed atmosphere – mainly down to the fact the owner Sally has 28 years of experience cutting children’s hair.
The tardis-like shop in Battersea’s Northcote Road is a place for children of all ages – from baby’s first haircut, to those tricky teens. DVDs to watch, toys to play with, a fish tank and Sally’s no-gimmicks approach help children feel at home, and she is also experienced in working with children with special needs.
- Prices: From £13 for under twos and £15 for over twos.
- Contact details: Sally’s, 155B Northcote Road, London, SW11 6QB, Tel: 0207 223 6111
This small, independent salon is charming with its horse, elephant and motorbike novelty chairs, built-in TVs on the wall and surroundings of books, toys and games. Drinks and healthy snacks are always on offer and the stylists keep your child at ease and talk through with them what they’d like done to their hair.
- Prices: £9.95 for a cut or trim
- Special treats: £13.50 for ‘first hair cut’ package including a picture and lock of hair.
- Contact details: Nippers, 11 West Street, Exeter, EX1 1BB, Tel: 01392 490410
Tiny Tangles, Guildford, Surrey
With five themed cutting stations, each with its own flat screen TV, children will be entertained during their hair cut, saving any tantrums! All girls’ haircuts come with clips and sparkles, and all children receive a treat at the end of their adventure.
While you wait, the children can play in the beanbag book corner; admiring themselves in the ‘wobbly mirror’, which produces all kinds of weird and wonderful reflections!
- Prices: From £11.50 for children under 4, £14.50 for children over 4.
- Special treats: Mini glamour pusses can have nail art for £7.50, while pamper parties cost £27.50 per child including exclusive use of the salon, party food, hair, nails and make-up, plus a party bag.
- Contact details: Tiny Tangles, 12 Jeffries Passage, Guildford , Surrey, GU1 4AP, Tel: 01483 561818
Pikku, Newcastle upon Tyne
Derived from a Finnish word meaning ‘little one’, Pikku is all about making sure your child looks their best – while having fun.
The brainchild of a Newcastle mum of two, Minna Scaife, the vibrant children’s salon and clothing store opened in October 2014 packed with features for little ones, such as pink and yellow racing car seats, plus separate sections for older girls and boys complete with Nintendo DS games.
- Prices: £12.50 for children aged one to five, £14.50 for over fives, £7.50 for baby hair tidy up.
- Special treats: Frozen fans can get an Elsa plait styled for £5, while a full pamper party package costs from £15 per child.
- Contact details: Pikku, 173-175 High Street, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 1HE, Tel: 0191 447 1300
Happy Faces, Clapham
Happy Faces, London
Happy Faces was launched in 2009 by a local mum and has two separate zones: The Jungle and The Studio. Hand painted murals adorn the walls of The Jungle area, aimed at children under six, and they can choose to sit in a pink princess plane, yellow speedy car, fire engine or Thomas the tank engine. Over in The Studio, older children can get pampered in a Hollywood-style zone complete with sparkly floor and two glamorous backstage mirrors with flat screen TVs showing the latest movies and music videos.
- Prices: £13 for children under two, £15 for 2-4 years, £16 for 5-7 years, £17 for 7-16 years.
- Special treats: Mini-manicure is £5, while baby’s first haircut package is £25 including photo, certificate and lock of hair. Party packages cost around £20 per child.
- Contact details: Happy Faces, 50 Webbs Road, Clapham, London, SW11 6SF, Tel: 0207 228 8151
Ek Hair, Bristol
The team at Ek Hair knows a thing or two about dealing with even the most tricky toddler, or unruly hair. Children can sit in a fire engine, an aeroplane, or a pink Cadillac while they have their mane tamed, and watch one of the salon’s DVDs, or even bring one along.
A baby changing and a buggy park make the experience simpler, while an entertaining waiting area keeps the little ones busy while you can drink a coffee.
- Prices: From £5 for a fringe trim to £20 for a full wash, cut and dry.
- Special treats: First haircut package costs £14 and includes a photo card and hair keepsake.
- Contact details: Ek Hair, 16 St James Arcade, Broadmead, Bristol, BS1 3JA, Tel: 0117 927 3213