Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Favourite baby names: would you pick any of these?

Hello

The Office of National Statistics has just released its list of the most popular babynames, and the winners, again, are Oliver and Amelia.

The list was compiled from all the baby names registered in England and Wales last year (2014)

The boys' top 10 includes Jack, Harry, Jacob, Charlie, Thomas, George, Oscar, James and William, as well as Oliver.

And the girls' top 10 includes Olivia, Isla, Emil, Poppy, Ava, Isabella, Jessica, Lily and Sophie, as well as Amelia.

Do you like the names on these lists? Would you choose any of them for your baby? Or do you have another name you really like?

Please do let us know. We'd love to hear about your babyname likes and dislikes!

Replies

• Options

Oliver is my boys name. Amelia used to be my girls name but I've gone off it now and I can't find a replacement! 

• Options

No I wouldn't use any for the simple fact that everyone else is. Nothing wrong with those names and they are all perfectly lovely but they are too popular. 

• Options

My 7 year old is Lily. I am liking Amelie as apposed to Amelia...lots of names on the lists of children we have in school so they are definitely popular. We are very undecided on names this time !

• Options

I avoid the names on top 10 lists if I can, always had another girl in my class with my name so try to find the name that everyone has forgotten about, my daughter s year at  school has 3 rubys 2 Scarlets and 2 evies and about five Jacks ! - my daughter is the only Shannon in her keystage.

It's kind of showing up to a party in the same dress as someone else - I'd hate it so try to go for individual names alot further down any lists lol

• Options

I agree with LittlePixieMD  these names are far to normal for me, I find it really strange that these are in the top 10 as I think far more unusal names are coming in.

I am also the same as busymamma the moment I find out someone has called there child my potential name it will change I cant think of anything worse than my child having the same name as other kids in the class lol x

• Options

My name for a girl is Nancy and my boy name is Jenson. 

I wouldn't use any of the top 10 names as working with children I know a child for every name and I always said I would never name my child a name I've either worked with or know through working with children image 

• Options

I like Olivia .... I already have a Bethany & my names are picked out for my 1 on the way Charlotte Luci & Nathan Isaac ????

• Options

I didn't really take any notice of top 10 lists etc i just picked names I liked.

My daughter is Rebecca and when I had her there were 6 women on the ward and we had 6 Rebeccas and a Christopher. When she started school there were 3 Rebeccas in her year but again didn't bother me.

My son is James Thomas and when I was in hospital with him there were a few who were using James and Thomas in either fore or middle names,

This time we have decided on Stanley or Zoe.

• Options

As a Claire in the 80's I would say no. I love the names, but I'd never pick a name off the top 10 list because of my experience of being one of 4 Claire's in my class at school... chaos!! 

• Options

I’m thinking Bonnie for my wee girl! Bonnie Macdonald 

what do u think? 🤩

• Options

My wee girls want to call our girl due in August Olivia. 

I think im liking Bonnie xx