Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sandwich fillings for 8/9 month old

Hi all

Toby has started having sandwiches at nursery - they say he LOVES them! I've only given him philly so far, and a bit of tuna mixed with philly!

What are your thoughts on these?

Philly and marmite (my friend gives this to her LO but I am concerned about SALT!)
Grated cheese?
Dairylea - can Toby have it?
Raw carrot grated?
Jam sandwiches - sugar rush???????

Any other suggestions???

Thanks!
Joo xxx

Replies

• Options
    I give the girls philly, marmite and dairylea (not all at the same time - ha!) so I hope they're OK.

I find that they struggle with grated cheese as the sandwich falls apart - sticky stuff tends to be better as it holds the bread together - but Toby is probably a bit more dextrous than they are.

I don't give them jam but that's personal choice due to the sugar. Once in a while would be OK I'm sure.

How about sliced ham or cheese? Then if it falls out of the bread he can eat it separately.
    Dairylea and cucumber? - my fave!

I'll keep thinking

xx
  • Options
    Those suggestions sound good to me - I think even Marnite is ok as he'll only have a tiny bit, but we're not marnite fans so've never tried it. I've never tried grated carrot either, but it might be worth a go. Dairylea sandwiches are an old faithful in our house - sometimes with cucumber in too. My lo likes egg sandwiches too, I was a bit concerned about salt in mayo so just put a very tiny bit in, and mix with a bit of softened unsalted butter so it isn't dry.
    I buy a brand of jam called 'St Dalfour' which has no added sugar, or only uses natural fruit juice or something - so it's technically fruit spread rather than jam but it tastes like jam to me, and lo likes it. He only has it about once every week or two, so it's not that much anyway. It's with the jam in the supermarkets, is a bit more expensive but not too bad (??1.45 a jar in Tesco I think).

We also like mashed banana sandwiches - I know some people can't get their head round them but they go down very well in our house.

[Modified by: *Sunflower81* on January 27, 2010 04:21 PM]

• Options
    oh my god - just wrote amssive reply and be ate it!!!!

AK meal planner has lots of ideas from 9 months as below but i've not tried any of them yet.....

mashed banana and / or smooth peanut butter
    tuna, swcorn mayo (can they have mayo?)
    hummus
    cottage cheese and pineapple
    strawberry jam or chopped apricots wiht cream cheese (yuk!!)
    grated cheese and tomato
    mashed sardines and ketchup (?!?!!)
    egg mayo and cress

with marmite - think people do give it but it is v salty so maybe just a smidgen?
    ava has dairylea on her toast but only half a triangle again due to salt content (most ends up on floor at the mo anyway!!) . I tried the philly route but didn't get though enough before it went out of date so stated on the dairylea triangles!!!
  • Options
    ooooh thanks girls - those are brill suggestions!!!

Can't wait to see his face when he tries hummous!!!!!!!! Hope he has his Daddy's love of garlic!

xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    ds has

salmon and cream cheese
    tuna and cream cheese (sometimes with grated carrot mixed in or peppers)
    jam ( i buy the diabetic no added sugar jam, its a bit more expensive but has much less sugar in, and all the sugars that are in it are from the fruit)
    marmite--he only has this occasionally, but ia small scraping won't contain much salt at all, but i wld avoid bovril.
    boiled egg- mm yummy lol, usually mix with some 'cream cheese' and tomato

i know asda do low salt kids sandwich fillings but ds can't ahve those cos they all contain dairy, but perhaps u cld give those a go.
    grated cheese shld be fine too, u cld also ry cheese on toast (can't do this with ds as 'cheezy' doesn't melt or grate lol.
    if u have no history of allergies or food allergies then he can also have peanut butter (the smooth one mind)
    dairylea, now theres no 'offical' reason why not, but, i think it contains ALOT of salt, i saw somehting about it on 'the big fat diet show' the otehr week and apparantly its n,ot nice stuff lol, what about cottage cheese?
    i'm also not sure but pat???? might be ok very occasionally (salt lvls) but i'm not sure on rules about liver etc pre 1yr

can't think of aything else atm xx

• Options
    double post, but also ds has those things on rice cakes too for a bit of variety, and he does like banana sandwiches too!! xx

[Modified by: siany on January 27, 2010 04:22 PM]

• Options
    i think pate is off limits at this age from wht i've read?
    Does anyone know if normal mayo is ok? or not cos of the raw egg content?
    Think I am going to try Ava on sarnies tomorrow!!

Joo - I tried ava on hummus on a bread stick, her face was a picture!! I thougt I would give it a few weeks before trying again!! image
  • Options
    normal mayo is fine, as its pasteurised egg, same as when pregnant, no home made mayo xx
  • Options
    My HV said mayo was fine after 6 months - the eggs are pastuerised if you buy mayo from the supermarket, so it's fine. She did suggest giving eggs on their own first to check lo didn't have a reaction to eggs. Mayo can be quite salty but a little bit is fine.
  • Options
    thank you!!! sarnies for ava tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Store-bought mayo should be fine as it is pasteurised. It is homemade mayo that you have to be careful of because the egg is raw. And pat???? is off limits until at least one.

Peter's all-time favourite sandwich filling is mashed avocado. Very easy and a good way to get vegetables into him. He has also had hummous with peppers, cream cheese with cucumber (not too keen), ham and cheese (in bits) and tuna mayo. I've also given him AK's toasted tuna muffins with he adores! I might try some of the suggestions on here as well, though. Thanks for posting. :\)
  • Options
    cream cheese and a slice of WAFER thin ham or chuck?
    tuna mayo
    egg mayo
    sliced cheese
    hummous is a big hit here too

umm think everyone's cover things!
  • Options
    Daisy LOVES hummous Joo! She eats it by the tubful!

We were with friends today and my friend said let me guess what's in Daisy's sandwich - hummous?!? I try her with other things, but she pulls her face! A garlic fan in this house too!

C xx
  • Options
    Ophelia's favorite is tuna mayo, or she loves baked beans (not so easy for a sandwich), but also she loves falafal!!! she ate 4 the other day!!! and they are good lunchbox snack, or sliced in a pitta!
  • Options
    Well I tried Ava on sarnies and she was mostly unimpressed!! How quickly did your LO's take to them? She nibbled a bit of one then she proceed to look at me and pick each one up in turn and drop it on the floor!!!