Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When / how to stop the 10pm feed?

Hi Ladies,

Please can anyone give me some advice as to when to try to cut out the 10pm feed? Does it only happen when they are on solids?

DD is 15 weeks old and has slept through after her 10pm feed until 7-8am since she was 9 weeks old.

I just don't know when we should try stopping the 10pm feed. We are happy & lucky to get the sleep we do now so are loathe to rock the boat by leaving her from 7pm as she may well wake in the middle of the night again..... Funny how you just get on with it when they are so small but how difficult it is agin once they sleep thorugh a bit.

We currently wake her at 10pm for her feed.

Any advice would be gratefully received. As I say - we know how very lucky we are that she sleeps like she does already - touch wood it will continue :\)

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi

My girls have slept from 6.30pm till 6.30am since they were 12 and 16 weeks old with a 10.30pm dreamfeed so I'll try and offer a bit of advice

Is your LO bottle or breast fed? We weaned Grace off her 10.30 pm feed. She was 6 months old and we probably could have stopped it sooner but we didn't dare! Like you, we didn't want to risk them waking up when they'd been sleeping through for so long. To cut out her feed, we reduced the amount by an oz every 3 nights. Once we were down to 2oz, we stopped giving it to her. So far, touch wood, she's never woken for it. We're now doing the same for Lily. We've left her a bit longer as she's a bit smaller but we're cutting it out now as we're worried it may have become a habit.

BTW - when we stopped Grace's feed, she was on 2 small meals a day. They are both now fully weaned

HTH x
  • Options
    When we were dropping Barney's 10.30pm feed I just gradually brought it forward untill we were doing it at 9.00pm and then stopped it. I did the feed 15 mins early each time, and did each time for 3 days (does that make sense?) I think we did wait untill he was taking a decent amount of solids, although I can't actually remember!!!!
    xx
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

Thank you very much fro your advice. T4BM, LO is bottle fed.

I think I will wait until she is on solids for a bit and then follow your advice and in the meantime thank my lucky stars she's as good as she is now!!

Thanks again

xx
  • Options
    Lily just stopped waking/wanting it. She dropped the 2am one before the 10pm one. She was on solids I think when we finally dropped it so must be about 5-6 months! xx
  • Options
    Have you tried a dream feed ao you don't properly wake her? It can help with getting them back to sleep more quickly.
    I think for stopping it we just gave it a go and didn't give it one night. I think he was about 3 or 4 months if I remember rightly.
    If you're worried about her waking hungry, maybe try giving a couple of extra oz for the evening feed to help her last.

Lots of different ways are mentioned - just go with what you think will work for you.