Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How long after giving birth is your body ready to start exercising?

Hi I gave birth nearly 4 weeks ago and am very eager to try and shed the baby weight as it makes me feel horrible every time I look in the mirror, although I don't want to go back to the gym too soon incase I do my body any damage if it's not fully recovered yet. 

Does anyone have any advise as to how long you should wait before exercising again? Also does anyone have any recommendations which products to use for stretch marks?

any advise would be great thanks!

Replies

• Options

Hi Cher, just wanted to respond to your q's. I think once you've had your 6 week check at the GP and you get the all clear, you can slowly start exercising again - but start off slowly and gradually build up. If you had a c-section there might be different advice. Also, stretch marks - remember they will naturally fade over time from red/purple to silver, but you can help them along with some stretch mark oil. Nothing will get rid of them, just fade them, so be disheartened if they don't vanish!

• Options

Hi thank you for your reply, I think I will wait until my 6 week check up and see what the GO says then as I still get sore sometimes even when I'm walking with the pram. Also I've been using bio oil every day and night and a little drop in my bath I guess I just have to he patient, very unlucky as I didn't have a single stretch mark until 2 weeks before I have birth then they all came at once :(!

• Options

I tried to walk a little way the day after thinking I would be find, but truelly it was a few days before I could walk around the room OK, but I did try walking distances ASAP and did more each day, not exactely going to the gym by then but meant I could go a fairly normal distance a week or so later, can't remember when the running started again though.