Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what to wear during labour/delivery

Hi ladies

I'm a first timer and don't know what to wear for the birth. I don't have any old/large t-shirts etc. My maternity tops are not very long and I would like to keep some modesty for as long as possible! I'm also quite a hot bodied person so need something cool.

Also, have been looking around for pyjamas/nightdress etc to wear in hospital afer the birth but everything seems to be a light colour. I was trying to find something darker just in case of any blood etc leaking - yuk! Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    hellooooooooooooooo

gate crashing from baby here, but seeing as ive been through it i thought id give you some advice??

i stayed in my normal clothes until after my first exam, (mw will tell you when to change into your nighty n stuff so dont worry about that) then i changed into my nighty with pj bottoms underneath...once i was well into my labour i jus slipped my bottoms off and kept the sheets over me while mw's/docs etc popped in and out of our room... obv popping them off for examinations

for the labour itself, wear something that you wont mind chucking away as it may or may not get recked... might be a good idea to buy a cheap mans tshirt from tesco or something? they are only a couple of quid, i used an old nighty that i found in the bottom of my wardrobe lol

once archie had arrived, i got the choice to have a shower/bath or a quick wash down in my room, seeing as id had an epidural i couldnt stand very well so opted for a quick wash down, obv did it myself with the nurses supporting my weight for me. i then changed into some clean pj bottoms (bought from primark for ??3-didnt matter if they got ruined cuz i jus chucked them), and i bought a thin cotton stappy top to wear as the baby ward will be REALLY warm, so make sure you wear something comfy and light. dont worry about the bleeding, the hosp will supply you with maternity pads and sheets for your bed, but i took an extra pair of pj bottoms in, just in case, so 3 pairs in all. my pj bottoms were grey with pink spots (went down well on the ward lol)....but to be honest by that point you really wont be bothered what you look like as sleep and bonding time with lo will be at the top of your priority list

good luck
    xx
  • Options
    Hi

I was also in the same position as you, so I decided to buy a 2 pack of nighties from mothercare ??20.

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B001NL5M12/sr=1-1/qid=1239377539/ref=sr_1_1/280-9546520-2467822?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42797041&mcb=core

I am planning on wearing one for labour and taking the other one in my hospital bag along with some other comfy pj's and clothing. My bag is huge,looks like i'm planning and staying for a couple of weeks. I'm just paranoid that I'll forget something essential! I hope they don't turn me away for having a bag that's too big!! Hope this helps. xxx 40+5
  • Options
    I had a two-pack of maternity nighties from Mothercare one was cream with black spots and the other was black with cream spots. I wore the black one in labour and it got wrecked so I binned it after then I wore the cream one on the ward. I'm glad I didn't spend too much money on them, I was only on the ward for 6 hours after having my lo before being discharged!

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B001NL5M12/sr=1-1/qid=1239378125/ref=sr_1_1/280-2588029-6758563?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42797041&mcb=core

I was thinking of buying a few nice pairs of pyjamas as I had a c-sect with my first and everyone came to the hospital to see us as we were in for 3 days. I'm glad I didn't now. I've put the link for the nighties above. There are a few other darker sets on here too.
  • Options
    That's spooky, i was typing my message at the same time as shrewpin and we've posted the same link....they must be good!!!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    Mmmm very strange! Great minds think alike xxx
  • Options
    Primarks do some button up front nighties for ??3. I bought a black polka dot one to give birth in and for only ??3 it can go straight in the bin afterwards
  • Options
    i ended up giving birth naked. with my contractions i was told to take a bath. the contractions got so bad quickly they put me in my own room. so i was naked. room had an en suite. had a cheap nightie but didnt wear it. wore my maternity pj bottoms after the birth
  • Options
    i ended up giving birth naked. with my contractions i was told to take a bath. the contractions got so bad quickly they put me in my own room. so i was naked. room had an en suite. had a cheap nightie but didnt wear it. wore my maternity pj bottoms after the birth
  • Options
    I just wore a cheapy nightie from Asda (2 for ??5) - I had worn them during pregnancy and they are really stretched now so I didn't mind if they neede to be chucked out. It is really hot in hosp so take something very light.

Em x
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions ladies. I had a tour of the maternity unit on Saturday and could not believe how hot it was. I wanted to strip off and that was just walking around!

The mothercare sets look good but I will also look in my local Primark for some cheapies together with cheap undies as the disposables all seem to come up at least 3 sizes too small!

• Options
    i got some of the cheapy nightgowns that have a few buttons at the top from primark. i got a bigger size than needed so theres plenty of room to ermmmm..spread lol, the buttons are quite small and fiddly though so will probably have them undone through out.

bailey_b 37 +2
  • Options
    Hi, I'd say Primark everytime as they are so cheap! And so not important if they get wrecked!
    It is very hot in the labour ward. After the birth you really want skin to skin contact with your baby, so bare that in mind. Something cool an easy to open or take off. Afterwards, it depends if you are planning to breast feed, then you want something that you can easily undo. Think about taking a hand fan in with you to help keep you cool. during labour. Don't forget spare batteries!! x
  • Options
    I brought a cheap loose nightie from primark for the birth and has said they will tell you when you need to get changed. For the after birth i just had some PJ's, wards are warm so maybe the vest type pj's and just pack a cardi incase you get chilly image x
  • Options
    I wore a hospital gown, no worrying bout wasting anything that way image