Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Gripe water / Infacol / burping

Has anyone else got a baby who seems to have a lot of difficulty getting their wind up? She has a bottle in about 15 minutes but it can take an hour of winding and she is still gripey.

Have tried her on Infacol a few times but she just seemed to have a huge burp and bring most of her milk back with it and be hungry again half an hour later. She is now 4 weeks so have got some gripe water but she still doesn't seem to be getting her wind up and I really struggle to balance baby, the bottle and measure out the liquid and get it into her mouth on a spoon without getting it everywhere!

Have tried all different winding positions and doesn't seem to make much difference. Goung to ask the health visitor when she comes out to weigh her later today but just wondering what everyone elses experience has been.

Replies

• Options
    I could have written this myself 1st timer - I seem to spend a lot of my day trying to get a burp out of my little man - he grizzles alot when he has wind but I struggle to get anything out of him it is soo frustrating. Inevitably I think oh he must still be hungry and put him back on the boob so he settles for 30mins but is then grizzly again. My health visitor is coming today too so will ask her - i'll be interested to see if gripe water works??? Stil another few days till he is 4 weeks xxx
  • Options
    I''ve been having the same problem - no burping, then obvious pain and lifting his lttle knees and crying. Then he wants to feed but it only makes mstters worse cos it traps the wind in more apparently. After a few days and some improvement today (touch wood I have a sleepy conteted baby today) the only advice I can give is to persevere with the infacol, it does seem to have more of an effect after a few days. Also my midwife said not to spend ages trying to burp him, but to try for a few mns and if nothing then put him down and let him sleep until he gets uncomfortable then trying again. It does seem to work most of the time and about 10-15 minutes after feeding he will wake up and burp when I try again. Also I took Daniel to baby massage and they recommended some massage for his tummy. Maybe you could try this. It doesnt get rid of it but is a preventative and he seems to like it. Hope that helps a bit, I felt awful for the last few days and would be interested to see if your health visitor has any other information/advice

Anna & Daniel (15 days old)
  • Options
    same troubles but mine is night time when he is sleepy its like he cant be bothered to put in the work! Im using infocol but not in the day hibi prob isnt helpin
  • Options
    with my first the hv recommended colysynth/colocynth granules (sp?) its a tiny tube of sugar like granules and you put a few on your finger before each feed, i found they really helped, i bought it from a chemist, think holland and barrett would do them too.
  • Options
    Have you tried using a syringe instead of spoon? Mite make it a little easier. Your midwife should be able to give you one xx
  • Options
    Thanks - yes I went to chemist and bought a syrringe although she still seems to spit a lot of it out.!

Health visitor recommended baby massage - 5 minutes before her bath and 5 minutes before bed to help on an evening. Using olive oil rub tummy in large clockwise circles gradually becoming smaller to little circles quite firmly then sweeping movements down stomach. Tried it last night and she seemed to sleep a bit better so worth a go.