Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Cotton Wool/Water and Olive oil!

Hi all, just read on one of my other posts that on new borns we are only advised to use cotton wool and water when changing nappy and olive oil on babies skin! I was just wondering though if you can use the johnssons baby oil instead and also the new pampers wet wipes state they are nothing more than cotton wool and water, no perfume etc, can we not use these instead? Xxx

Replies

• Options
    You CAN, as in it's in no way illegal, but TBH I don't see why you'd want to. Newborn's skins are delicate and precious, far too much so to assail them with a cocktail of chemicalsd and perfumes.

I'd also suggest reading the ingredient list on a pack of pampers or huggies 'pure' wipes and asking yourself if the list of chemicals sounds anything like 'just cotton wool and water', regardless of what the marketing spin might claim.

Tiny babies don't need vigorous cleansing, they aren't dirty, and plain water does just fine. Olive oil is one of the best skin moisturisers you can use. Mix them together in a little bottle and tip onto cotton wool or cloth wipes at nappy changes, and you'll find it shifts poo better than any commercial wipe (which just smear it around) and leaves your baby's bum really soft at the same time. For ultra cheap. Winner.
  • Options
    Our MW said that you don't want to use anything except water etc for at least the first 6 weeks - they might say "just like water" but trust me, they aint (read the ingredients)!

The only thing she suggested was cotton wool (balls not pleats - easier) water and a bit of Vaseline for getting off stubborn poo!

Anything else early on and you're running the risk of giving the baby sensitive skin - and that's something you don't want to do if you can help it!
  • Options
    hey,

im a hv nurse and water is all thats recommeneded (for babies bums and also bathing) due to babies having quite sensitive skin....the wipes that are pure the huggies ones are popular and seem to be ok (but nothing is obviously as pure as water) oilve oil is good for getting the poo off and keeping babies bum soft but wouldnt bother using that unless your baby has a red bum as its quite messy...

baby oil is often used as a moisturiser but is perfumed so if you want to keep babies skin soft then e45 works really well....

like everything its up to mums themselves at the end of the day but baby wipes often give babies really sore bums....

Lx
    (32+2)
  • Options
    g/c from baby

Just wanted to say that artificial oils can clog your baby's pore and irratate their skin. My dd had a rash when i first used any of the johnson's products, The best oil you can use is grapeseed oil which you can get from holland and barratt. It isn't as heavy as olive oil and feels lovely when using it for baby massage image

I use simple baby wipes as they are unperfumed and havent caused any irritation - i was too lazy for cotton wool and water. I also used Infacare baby bath which was nice and gentle.

Lx
  • Options
    This makes quite interesting reading for anyone who thinks those 'pure wipes' are nothing but water!

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/baby-bath/huggies-pure-wet-wipes/1155939/
  • Options
    Hiya image

Just wanted to say that none of the midwifes or health visitors ever mentioned cotton wool and water to me!! Not even when in the hospital or at home where both saw me using wipes!!

I used pampers sensitive and my LO has been fine so far with them. She is now 6 months old and never had a sore bum or nappy rash.

Just to say though, I found putting any johnsons products on her, or in the bath, actually gave my little girl a slight rash and often made her skin drier, so I used e45, and nothing in her bath for a long time!! I did use the shampoo though and she was born with veryyy long hair!

I found E45 absolutely brilliant to getting her skin back to normal after using johnsons products.

HTH
    Dani x
  • Options
    I used cotton wool and water. I never got on with baby oil...made Lily too slippy! x
  • Options
    i used wipes even in hospital and no one said anything to me i think its each to there own my son is 2 and half now and has never had a sore bum at all i will defo be using wipes again so much easier when out and about and at home really
  • Options
    I used water and olive oil for nappy changes for my ds, I wasn't told to I just always presumed that baby wipes would be too harsh for a newborns skin???

The hv suggested I bathed lo in water and olive oil, which I did and he had lovely skin, I also used olive oil for baby massage too.

I'll be doing the same this time around too

xx
  • Options
    I do use cotton wool and water when my lo's are small babies, but find that sometimes even that leaves them with a slight red bottom.... my mw suggested using cotton wool and johnsons baby lotion instead of the water as it will moisturise aswell.... I found this worked really well and will be doing the same this time round.
    I do use wipes after a couple of weeks but start with pampers sensitive ones, but have and will use wipes alone after a few weeks, as long as babys skin agrees! they are convinient and always at hand.... I personally dont like the huggies wipes as I find them quite rough compared to others. Its personal prefernce on what you choose to use on your babys skin..... just have to give it a try and see what is best for you and most important baby's skin.
    x x
  • Options
    It is a personal choice and up to you, but there is a reason they suggest natural ingredients for the first 6 weeks and least as babies skin is very delicate and doesn't really need a lot of cleaning.

Plus you use warm water and cotton wool which is nicer for the baby than a cold wipe (these are never just water and cotton wool as they need chemicals to keep them mosit for long periods).

Also olive oil is the best thing for try skin and I will still use it on my 1 year old if he has any really bad dry skin (thankfully this has not happen very often).

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/08m4.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev281pr___.png

• Options
    I have stocked up on cotten wool and olive oil and intend to use these and water alone for the first few weeks. Ihave also brought some pampers sensitive wives but really dont expect to use these on baby straight away. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the johnsons products on newborns although they are supposed to be fine for when baby is a bit older. I just always thought they would be too harsh on new born baby skin so am opting for the olive oil and water combo. xx
  • Options
    I started off using water and cotton wool with my son but I stopped pretty quickly because I was getting so stressed about the mess and it was so hard to get his bum clean. Switching to wipes was the best thing for both of us and it never caused any irritation.

I agree with the comments that it might be better for newborns to just use water but I felt pressure to stick with it and it just added to my stress levels which is not what you need as a new mother. The problems with breast feeding and colic along with the usual lack of sleep were enough for me and I had to let some of the "rules" go otherwise I would have cracked up.

Try to do what you feel is right for you and baby and allow yourself to make your own choices rather than pressured into doing what is "right".
  • Options
    Hi ladies

So could i buy one of those plastic 'travel' bottles, fill it with water and a little olive oil mixed together - and then use that mixture when out & about rather than nappy wipes??? If it was possible then i'd always try and get warm water rather than using the ready-made mixture, but thinking that a situation might arise where i cant (not too sure when that'd be though but thought i'd ask the question anyway)!

Broody
    28+3
    xx

[Modified by: **Broody** on April 20, 2010 04:28 PM]

• Options
    I think thats a really good idea Broody - about pre mixing some...handy to keep pn changing table too as well as changing bag!

Good thinking batman! defo stealing that idea

PP84
  • Options
    Thats what I do, broody - we use reusables so I carry it in a little bag with my cloth wipes.
  • Options
    Ah great! Thanks girls.

How much olive oil do you put in with the water? One part oil to three parts water? Or is that too much oil?? Ooooh confusing times ahead!! ha ha xx
  • Options
    not even that much - just a little splash. It will float on top so just shake it up before you use it.
  • Options
    I used cotton wool and water for a few weeks and olive oil for her dry skin as she was late so her skin was very dry.

I used wipes after a few weeks, dd is now 18 months old and has never had a nappy rash.. not even from teething! xx