Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

help!anyone get shooting/stabbing pains in early pregnancy?

hi ladies
had a bit of a worry today at work when all of a sudden got shooting/stabbing pains in my lower tummy - was really quite sore.
i called the mw and she said hopefully just stretching pains but to go straight to a&e if start bleeding heavily or it gets severe.
it eased off after about an hour and half, however everytime i go to the toilet and (sorry tmi) strain (to see if it's wind etc) it feels really tender in my lower stomach is sore for a min or two after. I can still feel the odd niggle but not hurting like it was. Also can feel what i can only describe as pressure in my lower back.
did anyone else have anything like this?? i'm only 4+5 so was expecting to feel stretching pains yet? (well i think i am but had a chemical pregnancy last month and when i tested the day before af i was coming up as 2+3 on cbd)
xxx

[Modified by: SmudgeSmith on 27 March 2010 09:58:03 ]

Replies

• Options
    I had sharp pains mainly by my left hip from around the same time - I was worried and called NHS24 the midwife was lovely and arranged for me to go to hospital and get a scan as I was getting a bit of s a state. But she said that she wasn't concerned unless there was blood and that it was likely to be round ligament pain and stretching which can apprently be worse if you've had a recent pregnancy or Miscarriage (I had had 2 in the few monthes beforehand).

try not to worry it sounds like the same as I had, but it may be worth trying to get a scan to put your mind at rest.

DM 25+2 xx
  • Options
    I had a lot of this and still getting it now, lower back pain, sharp stabbing pains in my lower stomach, and a tender tummy went I went for a wee, I think it is just stretching pain, I'm 15+6 now and have a wiggly healthy baby so I doubt it's anything to worry about, take some paracetamol and get your other half to give you a massage image xx
  • Options
    i had lots of this from 4-6 weeks hun, its cuz there so much happening down there, midwife told me its fine also so dont worry unless bleeding x

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/YA80.png

• Options
    I had this too - exactly as you're describing. I was told it was just stetching pains so tried not to worry. I am 12 weeks to day and my scan showed a lovely active baby. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry too much.x
  • Options
    thanks ladies!
    I woke up in the night with a really bad pain which i think started in my left hip/back and then radiated round to my lower abdomen on the same side. Was convinced I was losing my little bean. it wasn't "severe" (but what is that??) but did really hurt. Anyway it went after about an hour and not had any bleeding, so i'm still praying everything's ok xxx
  • Options

Hi ladies 

Hope you are all well And hope your pregnency turned out great image, I have had 2 misscariages one at 9 weeks and one at 11 weeks , i am now pregnent again around 5 weeks , I have. Been having a few shooting pains and a little cramping, I think I may be just over worrying things at the momment but it's just hard to get excited because I am scared I will miss carry again , also not had any symptoms apart from a bit of back ashould any one else not had any symptoms early on , thank you 

• Options

so still in early stages of pregnancy and been getting these weired uncomfortable shooting pains in the right side of my tummy? There is no bleeding and they seem to come and go throu out he day along with the cramping is this normal as have it in my head gona miscarry image x

• Options
    Hi danielle this is normal image i had all sorts of pains in first trimester and was forever worrying. Had a bit of spotting at six weeks as well and went hospital for a early scan and all was ok and now im 24 weeks tomorrow image try not to worry too much. Easyer said then doneimage lol but if its just pain that isint severe pain and only lasts a few seconds then your fine as long as no blood or spotting. If your still worrying ask your midwife! Avoid google as theres all sorts on there to get you even more scared. Another thing i kept doing and everyone was getting fed up off me going onto it lol. Hopefuly everythings ok image xx
  • Options
    I had shooting pains on my left due to a vanishing twin n bleed for over 3weeks...d other baby is doing fine...now d pain has shifted to the right...had an u/s at 7wks 4days...baby was great and growing...hoping for anoda scan next week...still on cyclogest 1200mg a day and progynova..hang-in ladies...we will carry our babies to term.
  • Options

Missed my period on March 1st but was cramping bad and having fluttering sensations on my right side (pelvic). March 2nd did an hpt test came out Faint. March 3rd I had stabbing sensations and then mild period cramps. March 4th went to the doctor and got a faint line and went ahead on doing a blood test. March 5th cramping seems to be getting much lighter yet no period just a little white CM. March 6th anticipating the results of the blood test tomorrow yet funny feeling in my abdomen. If it's definitely positive then an immediate appointment with my OB/Gyn. I'm confused as to what to do as I have never been pregnant before. Now at 36 to get pregnant will be an exciting time for me. I will keep you girls posted and thank you all for sharing.

• Options

I had VERY faint line  on all eleven o  My pregnancies hun . A line is a line no matte  how faint if it's their  you're pregnant image congratulations!!! And th  cm and af type pains are.normal for the first trimester hun, please.try not to worry. Here's wishing you a happy and healthy nine months xxxx

• Options
    Hey hunni now and again i get sharp pains too they tend to be on my left side around the hip area and also the shooting pains go downwards towards my vadge area too (excuse the the word description lol) but i put it down to wind aswell because i can get really gassy. Just try and relax and sleep when you can xx
  • Options

Back again, my bloodtest came back positive and shooting pains are still there. I am 4 weeks pregnant and my doctor thinks 103 for my hcg too low. Oh well just gonna wait and see how it's gonna pan out. Not worried about my hcg though as I am more than 5 at 4 weeks. All is well and baby glue to all of you. xxx-ooo

• Options
    Looking for some advice,

I'm nearly 10 weeks and I've been getting sharp stabbing pains down the front of my tummy that go up inside me, is this normal? I've had an eptopic & 3 mc's but never got this far before, I'm also on aspirin this time round, I'm trying not to panic!!
  • Options
    I had my first hcg beta today and got 70 at 13 dpo. I've had 10 positive pregnancy test getting a little darker every day. I have a sharp pain in my lower back on the right. And a heavy dull sensation in my uterus. I would be about 3wks6days I haven't missed a period yet. So let's hope this is a stick bean!! Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I had the same feeling all day yesterday, except the pain got severe & I was bleeding started off light & then got heavy blood. The pain is still going on but not as bad. Could anyone help me out I'm a bit worried... What happens if there's bleeding?...
  • Options

I've just started getting them today and I'm 4 weeks, pretty worried as I've had miscarriages in the past, not had bleeding though so I'm hoping it's just the pain of things moving to make room for baby ????

• Options

My partner is pregnant. She is getting stabbing pains in her left side its putting her so down. She thinks she is loosing the baby. I'm trying to keep her calm. As her partner I hate seeing her like this. Don'tknow what to do ?  

• Options

Hi Chelsea,  I had similar pain at the start, I eventually phoned the early pregnancy unit and got checked out. They weren't sure why I had the pain could of been a few reasons anyway it turned out okay. I would suggest if she is worried that she contact epu for advice. How far along is she?

• Options

She's is only 5_6 weeks. She woke up this morning and her belly is a lot harder and already bigger than last night.