Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Inviting children from nursery/school to birthday party

How do you go about inviting LO's friends from nursery/school when you don't actually know them? F has a small group of friends who live nearby and we see regularly so that's fine but he goes to nursery 2 days a week and obviously has a group of friends there too and I'm sure he'd like them to come to his birthday party. I was thinking I would just ask nursery if they could give me a list of names for those he is closest to at nursery and then ask them to give out the invites to the parents when they drop off/collect their LOs. Does this sound reasonable?

I've also been thinking about what happens if and when these children come to the party. I know names but I couldn't tell you which child is which, let alone know who the parents are! How do you go about acknowledging them at the party when you don't know names?

Bit random I know but it's been going around in my head for weeks now!

Replies

• Options
    Yes that sounds like what happens at Isla's nursery. When she's had invitations they've been placed in her bag which I've found when we've unpacked it at home.

With regards to meeting the children/parents at the party I generally introduce myself to the child's parents otherwise I feel a bit awkward. So usually I approach the child's mum/ dad and give them the gift or ask where I should put it and thank them for inviting us.
  • Options

when his birthday??? i thought it was near isaacs???

just ask his key worker who he plays with then give the invites and the staff will put in the bags, the parents will then text or phone to confirm they are coming and then generally the parents will just come and make small talk at the party.

• Options

Haha it is RF, not till Feb but I'm hoping to get the venue booked before baby arrives in October. I don't want to leave lots to do when I've got a newborn to look after! I suppose I'm just a little worried about all these kids being there but not actually knowing who they are lol. Maybe once I've got a list of names from nursery I'll look out for their faces on their coat pegs and try to put names to faces that way!

• Options

How about getting stickers to put their names on for them to wear at the party do you know who is who? (R went to Gymboree a few times and they used to wear name stickers) or is that a bit naff!

• Options

i wouldnt worry too much tbh as their parents will be there with them so if you dont really know their names its not a huge issue as the parents will be looking after them, usually if i go to parties with isaac we go off playing and have a chat with other parents and everyone kind of sorts their own children out iyswim.  also its 9/10 months away so they might even have left nursery in that time, so id leave the invites till about 3/4 weeks before tbh

god dont make me think about my baby turning 3 yet Laugh

• Options

I wouldn't be sending invites out until just before Christmas I think but me being me plays every little scenario around in my head lol. Thinking about it, F will probably be more than capable of telling me who's who!

Like the sticker idea though DD!

• Options

I did this for Isobelle's 2nd birthday but only out of 5 came (although we do live 45 mins away from nursery). Since then I've been to quite a few nursery parties & if we were still there in Feb (which she won't be) then I'd be inviting more! Still can't get over how organised you are!!

• Options

Just a word of warning, if you send the invites out before Xmas they will no doubt get lost in amongst the chaos of Christmas. Thats very very early for a feb bday. With parties, roughly 4ish weeks is fine as its only 2 hours out of the day. If I got an invite at before Xmas for a feb birthday, it'd go in the drawer and I'd never think of it again,  I usually end up only giving 2 weeks notice with L because he's 18 jan and school doesn't tend to go back till 4/5 jan. I text his best friends mums just to give them the heads up but other than that just send the invites in when they go to school.

• Options

I wouldn't say I'm organised BK, it's still very much at the idea stage :-)

RF, that's a good point. Perhaps when they return after New Year might be better as people have less going on than in the run up to before Xmas. A guess a month's notice is fine isn't it?