Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Severe heartburn/acid reflux went to GP but nothing helps

Hi, I have been suffering for the past week from severe heartburn and acid reflux. Lots of burping, I feel I have something stuck in my throat. I have a really hard time falling asleep and it starts to get really bad around 6pm. I've really following a diet and trying to eat small meals but the heartburn is so bad I cant sleep, think or do anything. I went to the GP and he gave me gaviscon but its not working... any other over the counter medicines someone is using or something else that helps?

please let me know!!

thanks
fiorella

Replies

• Options
    Try Zantac tablets - I have these from the doctors (also known as Ranitidine) and they work really well for me - two a day is the maximum, but they do well - when they don't do the trick, I take a purely medicinal portion of ice cream!!!

Hope this helps
    C xx
  • Options
    Also how long does this last???????? 4 months? 3?
  • Options
    hi, heartburn has been with me since the start of the pregnancy image me too taking gaviscon, eating small meals and nothing spicy. plenty of milk and mints seem to hold it off for awhile. im also sleeping propped up, gets worse when lie down-lack of sleep. went to docs not much help, just got to get on with it.
    thouught i was lucky, pretty much escaped bad morning sickness but with the heartburn worsening as the pregnancy goes on im finding myself being sick more often.
    not much help hun, but i know how u feel x
  • Options
    hi hunn i was given ranitidine too it creates a lining in your stomache so you dont get heatburn it takes about a week to start taking effect but once it does its great i would see your doc to see if maybe he will prescribe some
    claire xx
    23+4
  • Options
    hi hun, i'm 38 weeks and have had horrible heart burn & acid reflux all the way through this pregnancy and its been a nightmare, especially since I'd never had heart burn in my life prior to been pregnant!

I found Ranitidine helped too, as well as Gaviscon Advance
    xx
  • Options
    hi

fo the passed year and a half i've suffered from acid reflux and heartburn. the best thing to do at night is to put a golden pages (example) propping up under the top of ur bed ie it will prop ur head up too which helps stop the reflux, some pillows will help to (it does work) also just before going to bed drink at least half a glass of milk and a spoonful of gaviscon.
    i now 12weeks4days pregnant and touch wood it still works for me.
    hope this works for u 2
    xxxx

• Options
    hi hon,

I have a hiatus hernia so knew that things would get worse when I got pregnant.
    I suffered reflux for 3 months in total with just Gaviscon Advance but that became totally inaffective (sp?) so took Ranitidine (which I had an allergic reaction too). It's only when I came on here a week ago after not sleeping for a week, that I found out that there are other tablets which you can get prescribed by your GP that are totally safe during pregnancy (sleepybeccie helped me with this) and I am now on Omeprazole 20mg before my evening meal and have been heartburn free for almost a week now!!
    If you're suffering and Gavsicon isn't helping at all no matter whether you increase how much you're taking - get back to your GP and ask what else you can take.
    good luck and hope you get some relief very soon - as it's awful to keep feeling like you do.
    xx

[Modified by: overthemoon09 on January 14, 2009 11:09 AM]

• Options
    oh my god ladies thank you! you just saved me! i will look into zantac first.. if it doesnt work.. will go back to the gp and take omeprazole. I just take this a while back when i was really bad.

tons of love

• Options
    i was given rinitadine (i think thts how u spell it lol) and that was gr8 4 me i swore by it xxx
  • Options
    I take rennies dual action tablets at the moment they work a treat for me! my mw said to leave off the gaviscon as long as pos cos it stops working after a while?? i have had bad bouts but luckily not all the time just yet. saying that as i sit here i can feel it coming on!!
    carly 26+1
  • Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Options

Oh god I need help!! I'm 37 weeks and on renitidine and gaviscon but that is not helping.  nausea all the time acid coming up the second I lie down ( and im propped up) I'm like it if I have eaten or not???!! Feel so ill any more ideas. Tried milk, I'm eating small amounts, avoiding certain foods I just can't cope much longer 😢