Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What did/do you do after your BFP?

Rosco's BFP thread got me thinking - what does actually happen after that amazing BFP? I've been spending so much time on TTC'ing and getting myself ready and all clued up, I never really thought what to do after it happens!

I'm just interested to see how it panned out for all you lovely lot on here - had you planned to do the test with someone (your H/partner/friends/family member) or alone? Who did you tell after you found out? Was that how you planned it, if at all?

And then, for the more serious bits, how did you initiate your pre-natal care? What does that involve?

Replies

• Options

I only did a test because it was christmas day. I didn't think I'd ovulated and after 18 months of trying pretty much thought it was pointless doing it. I did the cheapie test and stuck on back of toilet and usual and forgot about it... an hour later I glanced at it whilst going for another wee and could see something. After months of never seeing anything I wasn't quite sure what to do next. I tried asking my H but he said he couldn't see it... I messaged to other MD ladies and said I think I had two lines. This started a flurry of squeals and questions about whether it was an opk or a pregnancy test and demands for photos!

Took several photos and they both agreed there was the teeniest, faintest line on there but it was a line. It took another couple of days and a CBD before my husband believed that the faint line was a line (helped by the word 'pregnant' on the cbd!). I saw my GP a week later to let them know I was pregnant and they referred me to a midwife.

I saw my midwife at roughly 8 weeks pregnant and that was the start of getting me on the prenatal care chain.

• Options

When i got my BFP, I went to my GP as i didn't really know what to do, she confirmed from the tests i had in my bag that i was pregnant and referred me to the midwife.  The following appointment was with the Midwife and i made my appointments with them from there onwards.  The next time i'll just go straight to the midwife as i have a better idea of what to expect.

Hope you aren't waiting too long for your BFP Tayto!

• Options

It wasnt 'amazing' as you put it it was terrifying

Mc1- tested as ttc, mc a few days later

Mc2- same

Isaac - tested as ttc, didn't tell h for few days incase I mc again, seen gp as was bleeding, phoned conduktant for appt at 7 weeks

This 1- tested, literally sh*t self when bfp, friend confirmed it was a line, didn't tell h for a bit, didn't see gp, consultant at 6 weeks, mw at 7

• Options

Meant to say re other peegnanciesv

Lucas - showed stick to h, seen gp the week after

William - tested, came downstairs, told h, went to work. Booked with mw

• Options

With my first AF was three days late so I was pretty certain I was PG. My cycles were very reliable. My H was going to tesco for some bacon so I ask him to pick up a test for me. Once he was home he carried on making our bacon sandwiches whilst I did the test. It came up positive straight away so I ran downstairs and waved it in his face!
    We only kept it secret for 3 days as it was Hs birthday on the Tuesday and the family were coming round to see him so we told everyone then. I waited 3 weeks then phoned the doctor who had me in, basically said congratulations, and told me to make an appointment with the MW Which I did for around 9 weeks PG. 

With maya we were really trying and I was desperate to find out if I was pregnant or not so I tested a week before AF was due and got faint lines. (again H went and got the tests whilst I de scaled the kettle- how glamorous) because they were so faint I got a CBD the following day which confirmed I was pregnant. We then went off for a stroll at the beach. Again only waited 3 days to tell family as it was Hs birthday (notice a pattern!) and they were popping over with his pressies.  Bypassed the doc this time and made an appointment with the MW at 10 weeks PG. 

• Options

The first BFP, after our fourth round of clomid when I had actually given up hope, because I was a day or so 'late' by my calculations but I wasn't quite sure, I did a test and put it on the sofa whilst I got my tea. Came back in with H, carrying said tea, looked at the test and screamed. Shouted that it was positive, fell to my knees and left my tea on the sofa. Cried a lot and repeated 'I can't believe it' about a gazillion times. Then of course posted picture on fb group to the ladies there...H ate my tea as I couldn't face it. I didn't go to work the next day as I was in shock still, went to see GP who referred me for an early scan (due to clomid) and put my name down for the midwife to contact me about booking in with her. Just got on as 'normal' until the scan date came through for when I was about 8 weeks. It sadly ended in MMC.

Second time, it was our first round of clomid following the MMC, I hadn't started OPK's until CD12, had nothing for ages so I didn't think clomid had worked (but I must have ovulated before I started doing the OPK's). A couple of days before Xmas I got a positive OPK, then I had 3 positives in a row which confused me, so did an IC straight after the OPK 'just incase' without telling H and it was positive. This was on Xmas day evening. Shouted to H in the bedroom to come in, said 'look at this its positive' he was very confused as was I, put pic on fb group and everyone agreed it must be a new pregnancy and nothing to do with previous pregnancy. Flew out to vietnam the following day, did a CBD in the loos at Heathrow which came up 2-3 straight away. Booked in for a private early scan the Tuesday after we got back and the docs on the Monday, as I knew the NHS scan would take ages to come through. Scan showed a healthy bean with heartbeat :) docs referred me to the hospital, that came through just as I had some brown spotting when I was 9 weeks pregnant so instead I had a scan at EPU which showed everything was ok. Really between the BFP and 12-week scan the only things you have to do is inform your GP and wait for the local midwife to contact you who does your booking in appointment around 8-10 weeks. She books your scan for you.

To be honest as it took so long for us to get pregnant I hadn't even thought about what it would be like to be pregnant. You get so focussed on a goal - nothing else matters, plus I think its about protecting yourself and not letting yourself think about it in case it never happens.

Telling friends/family wise, no-one knew about the first pregnancy except work (as I needed time off for the operations) and a couple of close friends who I needed for support. Second time, work found out straight away as I was very ill and wouldn't have been able to hide it. Plus they knew about the first time anyway. My mum/sister around 8 weeks after the early scan as I wouldn't have seen them for a while after, H's family and my brother after the 9 week scan, and then a few close friends before the 12-week scan as we saw them. Everyone else after. If we hadn't had the early scans I don't think we'd have told anyone until after the 12-week scan.

Sorry that turned into an essay! X

• Options

Thanks everyone for your stories - it's good to have some idea! Sorry to those of you that had a difficult time along the way x

• Options

I'd been having cycles from about 26 to 29 days, so waited til CD30 to test. H had always said that he wanted to look at the test with me, so I did the test as soon as I woke up on a Saturday morning, but the line was there before I'd even finished peeing! I just left it on the side of the bath and went to wake up H so he could "come and check" with me and as far as he knows to this day we found out at the same time.

It was just a normal Boots test, so I went out to buy a CBD which confirmed 2-3 weeks. I made an appointment to see the GP on the Monday and she referred me to the midwife. My GP appointment was on 26th November and I didn't hear anything else from the midwife until just before New Year, with my booking appointment and my 12 week scan both taking place on the same day at the end of January.

We told our good friends at about 5.5 weeks as we were going round for dinner and I would always have had one glass of wine even when driving. They told us about early scans and we ended up going home and booking one for about two weeks later. We may not have bothered had Christmas not come in the intervening period meaning we'd have to tell family. I was performing in panto in the January, so had to tell my choreographer at about 5 weeks so he could change some of my routines. We told parents and siblings on Christmas Day and everyone else following the 12 week scan.

• Options

Um honestly we had no idea or plans. We were due to start fertility treatment in jan & I had an hsg end of nov. While I heard people fell pregnant after hsg, I had an operation in dec for cancer which left me pretty immobile 6 weeks so we only managed Dtd twice b4 op. I spent most of Christmas googling fertility treatments very depressed.

I felt I was coming down with sthing round Christmas but put it down to operation side effects. The day after Boxing Day I opened a clear blue but it turned out to be a dud. Oh told me to do the 2nd & I was like no they are too expensive! But I did & up came to 2-3weeks pregnant. I'll never forget that moment as long as I live. I was naked from waist down just about to jump into shower. I ran screaming in to oh in our bedroom & we just hugged & stared at it for ages. I rang my parents who were thrilled given the past few months & came over an hour later. Oh then left me to shower while he went & told his folks. In hindsight he should have waited until I was showered & we could go together but he was just so excited.

I managed to get an app with my gp that afternoon & he was delighted for us & got the referral underway. We had a private scan at 7 weeks, midwife booking in at 10wks  then 12 week scan.

If it wasn't for everything that went on at end of last year & fact we were due to start fertility treatment we probably would have kept it to ourselves for a couple of weeks but as much as it was our wonderful news it was very much fantastic news to share with our family too,

• Options

Well for me we were 4 weeks post finding out our adoption plans had come to a complete halt. I had really bad heat rash, nausea and heartburn. Said to OH if my period doesn't show I'll test Saturday. On Friday I took a test without hubby and before i could pull my underwear up there was two dark lines. I then text hubby to tell him that I hoped he wasn't cross I did a test and he was going to be a daddy!! I then did another one after work also positive.

The next day we told parents and on the Monday I booked in the midwife!

Had booking in at 6 weeks, early scan at 7 weeks and  am now awaiting my 12 week scan.

Still shocked and absolutely thrilled!

• Options

With M, I was due af in a couple of days and started feeling really queasy while I was doing some volunteer work. So much so that as someone who doesn't really get ill, I had an inkling so when I got home I did a test. Then took a photo and sent it to H saying how many lines do you see. Apparently he couldn't believe I'd tell him that way so didn't know what to believe until we did a cbd the next day. The next day we told my mum, I couldn't say the words I'm pregnant though - she was the only one who knew, only one H could talk to properly about my ms (now assumed was also hg). Once the news had sunk in, we rang the drs to find out what to do. GP didn't want to see me, I just had to fill in a form and would hear from the mw around 10 weeks with my booking appointment.

This time, H made it clear he wanted to be here when I did a test. In the end, we ended up doing a IC test before a dr appointment I had about my gallstones. I had been temping using FF as my cycles hadn't settled with M. FF had recorded me as only just having ov'd a few days earlier - as I'd had a few nights drinking earlier in the cycle, so clearly we were thinking that was correct. When we got a very faint bfp on the IC both H and I were in shock. Even more so when a few days later we did a cbd and it said 2-3 weeks. Turned out FF had missed when I ov'd as the drinking had messed up my temps. This time we decided not to tell my mum until the 12 week scan, but she guessed when I saw her when I was about 6 weeks. Turned out extra useful as when I was ill (H away on a school trip) she came over and looked after M and H didn't have to hide the fact from her I was in hospital at 8 weeks with HG.

• Options

Oh this is a really interesting read. Like you Tayto I've been so focused on tic and haven't actually posted over here before. Nice to hear what happens when people leave tic and come over here :)

• Options
    Honestly, I had a large glass of wine! It had all come as a bit of a surprise and i took the test just to rule out the obvious reason my period was late. Was in shock when it turned positive straight away! Took a while for me to go downstairs to show H! I then went to buy a CBD test to make sure. Seeing the words 'pregnant' made it all very real!
  • Options

#1 - I cried, and cried, and cried. I was 17, had just got with my boyfriend (baby wasn't his. Turned out I was 16 weeks when I found out, and was the result of a broken condom in my previous 3 month relationship, so not ideal) My parents were on holiday for 2 weeks, so I spent that time planning on how I was going to tell my Mum. During those 2 weeks, I went to my Dr's and did another test, in the hope it'd be negative. The sister sent me straight up to see my Dr, as I was so distressed. There, he felt my Tummy, and told me I was at least 16 weeks, and got me in with the MW straight away.

I sat my Mum down as soon as she walked through the door, and before I could say anything, she said "you're pregnant, aren't you?" She then gave me a massive hug, whilst I cried and apologised for letting her down.

It was then a whirlwind of doing all the paperwork and tests you usually get before that point.

#2 - I cried, and was sick. I had tested previously, as AF was late, but it was negative. By the time I got a positive, I worked out I was already about 8 weeks pregnant. The crying was because it was horrific timing. I'd split from my Fiancé, and my bfp was the result of a 2 week fling. I phoned my sister, who came round, armed with another test, I then went to see my Mum, crying all the way. Couple of days later, I had a miscarriage.

#3 - I tested as AF was 1 day late, round my friends house. I thought it was neg, until my friend screamed and shouted "you're pregnant, you're pregnant", then saw the faintest line ever. I sat there in shock, as even though this baby was planned, it seemed to be taking a long time, and I just didn't think I was pg. (compared to others, it didn't take a long time, but compared to how quickly I fell pg the previous 2 times, it felt like forever).

I phoned my H, told him i'd got a line, and he kept asking if it could be a false positive, he didn't believe we were actually pregnant. He then googled barely there lines, asked 4 different pharmacists, just to check that a line was a line.

I did numerous tests over the following days, just to make sure .H had stocked up on pregnancy vitamins, and i'd booked in with my Dr, as per his request if I became pg again following a prem birth, then a mc. Booked in with my MW a couple of days later.

I told my Mum by waving my pee stick in her face. She didn't know we'd been trying, and after my first 2 pregnancies being accidental, she asked if I was happy. When I said I was, she gave me a massive hug. When I told my Dad, he said "don't you know what condoms are?" haha