Bob Hoskins: the 11 'life lessons' he taught his daughter
Rosa, daughter of the late actor Bob Hoskins, has shared her dad’s touching advice
Bob Hoskins, the brilliant British actor, best known for his roles in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Mona Lisa and Hook, died of pneumonia on Tuesday this week at the age of 71.
And now, in his memory, his daughter Rosa has shared the 11 life lessons her dad taught her.
"The loss of my dad has broken my heart," Rosa tweeted, along with a photo of her as a child getting a hug from her dad. "But these are the words I'll keep close to me forever."
Writing on her website, Rosa says. "My darling Dad has died. I loved him to the ends of the earth and he loved me back just the same.
"These are his words; the words spoke so often to encourage, comfort and reassure. This isn’t general wisdom, rather advice that he tailor made just for me. I love you Dad."
- Laugh. There’s humour to be found everywhere, even on your darkest days there’s something to have a joke about. Laugh long and loud and make other people laugh. It’s good for you.
- Be yourself. If someone doesn’t like you they’re either stupid , blind, or they’ve got bad taste. Accept who you are, you’ve got no one else to be. Don’t try to change yourself, there’s no point. Don’t apologise. Don’t make excuses. Be yourself and if anyone else doesn’t like it they can **ck off.
- Be flamboyant, it’s who you are and always have been. Be eccentric and unique. Don’t try to adapt yourself to someone else’s view of normal. That belongs to them, not you. Like yourself as who you are.
- Don’t worry about other people’s opinions. Everyone’s a critic, but ultimately what they say only matters if you let it. Don’t believe your own press. People can just as easily sing your praises as they can tear you down. Don’t waste your time on things you can’t change. Let it slide off you like water off a duck’s back.
- Get angry, it’s ok to lose your temper now and then. If anger stays in, it turns to poison and makes you bitter and sad. Get angry, say your peace, then let it go.
- Whatever you do, always give it a good go. Don’t be afraid of failure and disappointment. If you fall flat on your face then get straight back up. You’ll always regret not trying. Disappointment is temporary, regret is forever.
- Be generous and kind because you can’t take it with you. When you’ve got something to give, give it without hesitation.
- Appreciate beauty, take pictures and make memories. Capture it, you never know when it’ll be gone.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. People who take themselves too seriously are boring.
- Never, ever, ever, ever give up. Keep on punching no matter what you're up against. You’re only defeated if you give up, so don’t give up.
- Love with all your heart. In the end, love is the only thing that matters.
Six big family moments that matter – and the products that make them easier to navigate
These products from John Lewis & Partners help support the memorable moments of family life.