You might be used to reading “I love you all the way down the lane as far as the river” to your little one at bedtime.
But now, the sweet passage from children’s book Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney has become a popular reading for weddings.
Recent bride Hannah Larkin told the BBC she wanted to add a touch of nostalgia to her nuptials.
She said: “Although it’s a children’s book, it resonates with adult life because it’s about the infinite nature of genuine love.”
But one of the most popular children’s literature readings is from The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. The story is about a small stuffed rabbit longing to become real through the love of a human.
The book was read from at Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall’s wedding with Prince William and Prince Harry reading alternate lines.
According to the BBC, popular choices include:
- Guess How Much I Love You (Sam McBratney)
- The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
- Winnie-the-Pooh (AA Milne)
- The Velveteen Rabbit (Margery Williams)
- The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
- Oh The Places You’ll Go (Dr Seuss)