In the Muslim tradition, great care is given to thinking about the name someone is given – it's thought of as the first gift a child receives to take them on their journey of life.
There are some really beautiful names from the Muslim world. Take a look at some our favourite ones, separated into lists for boys and for girls.
- Abdul - Meaning 'servant of God' and is often used as a prefix to other names
- Fahim - Meaning wise or learned
- Hiba - Meaning 'gift of God'
- Jed - Meaning 'beloved by God'
- Kareem - Meaning 'generous'
- Maali - Meaning 'noble' or 'sublime'
- Nahim - Meaning to comfort, or a blessing
- Parsa - Meaning 'pure' or 'holy'
- Rida - Meaning contentment or satisfaction
- Shaf - Meaning 'healing'
- Amira - Meaning 'princess'
- Dama - Meaning river or ocean
- Eesha - Meaning purity, creativity
- Fari - Meaning pretty, beautiful
- Heba - Meaning 'gift of God'
- Khadija - one of the most popular Muslim girl's names as it was the name of the Prophet's first wife
- Mahi - Meaning heaven and earth joined together
- Oma - Meaning 'of life'
- Raya - Meaning Queen
- Talia - Meaning 'Dew from heaven'
Tara is mum to 1 daughter, Bodhi Rae, and has worked as Content Editor and Social Media Producer at MadeForMums since 2015
Why this maternity brand from Finland grabbed 2 Golds in a row at the MFM Awards
Find out all about MadeForMums award-winning health and wellbeing brand Lola&Lykke.