It’s pretty obvious where names like Lachlan, Angus and Fife come from ?
But not all Scottish monikers are so obvious, and that’s why we’ve included a mix of baby name ideas that all have ties to Scotland in this list.
So, whether you’re having a boy or a girl, want something Scottish through and through or are just looking for something with a connection to Gaelic, have a browse through some of our faves…
- Ailsa (pronounced ‘ayl-sa’, meaning ‘supernatural victory’)
- Catriona (the Scottish take on ‘Catherine’)
- Dara (works well as a gender neutral name)
- Effie (also a shortening of ‘Elizabeth’)
- Eilidh (pronounced ‘ay-lee’, meaning ‘radiant’)
- Mairi (a Scottish take on ‘Mary’)
Have your say
Is your baby’s name – or your own name – rooted in Scotland’s history? Perhaps we’ve missed a real Scottish gem and you want us to add it to the list?
Let us know on Facebook or sound off in the comment below.