Latest deals from trusted retailers
A perennial favourite, Bio Oil claims to treat existing stretchmarks, as well as preventing new ones. However, its scent does let it down somewhat.
Bio Oil’s claim for success is its ‘PurCellin’ oil, a ‘non-greasy’ oil which allows for quicker absorption. The manufacturers claim that not only is it more pleasant to use, but that it delivers its active ingredients more effectively. Bio Oil can also be used on the face and for treating scars, ageing or dehydrated skin and uneven skintone. It’s hypoallergenic and said to be suitable for all skintypes. It is also less greasy than other oils.
Overall score 4 out of 5
What our testers say…
MFM mum Georgina Rodgers
- Bio-Oil is an award-winning product and the top-selling scar and stretch mark product in 18 countries, so I was eager to try it out with my growing bump.
- It’s very easy to apply and absorbs into the skin reasonably quickly, although I would say that like any oil, you need to wait about 3-5 minutes before putting on clothes, so they don’t mark.
- You also have to be careful not to pour too much out in one go. I found I used this product up quite quickly, as I was very generous with it.
- The fragrance is pleasant but neutral, which is ideal when you are pregnant and your sense of smell can be very sensitive.
- After using it my skin felt soft and supple and my existing lines slightly reduced.
- This is one of my favourite stretch mark and pregnancy body products.
- Georgina’s score: 4.5
MFM mum Natalie Brown
- I’m not keen on oils and never have been, but vowed to approach Bio Oil with an open mind after hearing many friends extolling its virtues. I was surprised at how non-greasy this oil is – it rubs into your skin without leaving a sticky residue, and doesn’t mark your underwear either.
- I used the oil on my cleavage as my milk came in (and boobs expanded at an alarming rate!) and it did make the feel of my skin more comfortable.
- When it came to washing it off it was hard to believe I’d applied oil at all, although I’m not sure if this is a good thing as my skin didn’t feel particularly hydrated either.
- I wasn’t keen on the smell, which to me is slightly clinical, and with a screw top the bottle and lid got greasy very quickly. This meant I couldn’t store it in a drawer with the rest of my skincare and had to find a home for it elsewhere.
- I don’t think I’d buy this product again: at £5.99 for 60ml it’s quite expensive and for me it didn’t deliver value for money.
- Natalie’s score: 3.5
MFM mum Becky Gower
- The Bio Oil is easy to use and rubs in easily. It does take a long time to absorb though and my skin felt moist for a while. I had to wait around 10 minutes before getting dressed.
- I usually prefer a cream over an oil as I find it quicker to dry. Being pregnant over the winter, you don’t always want to wait for it to dry, but this oil does make my skin feel better than my usual cocoa butter.
- I will definitely continue to use it, especially after the birth as it is designed to lessen the appearance of existing stretch marks.
- I don’t think I could use it daily though as I find the oil takes too long to settle on my skin.
- Becky’s score: 4.5
Who is Bio Oil best for?
Mums-to-be with existing stretchmarks.
A functional product rather than a pampering one.