Latest deals from trusted retailers
The Kiddy Energy Pro is one of the latest car seats to come from Kiddy. The car seat is touted as being even safer than its predecessor, and Kiddy’s signature harness-free design was a hit with baby tester Rosie.
The Energy Pro is a Group 1 car seat from German-based Kiddy. Like the other Kiddy car seats, the Energy Pro features an impact shield instead of a safety harness.
The Kiddy Energy Pro car seat claims to be even better than the company’s earlier Infinity Pro design.
Too good to be true? Well it certainly sounds that way but the safety aspects that were so renowned on the Infinity Pro model have been further refined in the Energy Pro, providing more shock absorption and better protection. So if it’s a safe and sound seat you’re after, this has everything you need.
What we love
The first thing that struck me about the Kiddy Energy Pro is how stylish it looks. My daughter Rosie looks pretty as a picture in the raspberry seat cover, and even better, it’s both washable and breathable, which gets a big thumbs up from me, especially if it’s going to last her until she’s 4 years old.
The Kiddy brand is very safety aware, and having won awards for previous models and been in the business for over 30 years, you definitely feel you can put your trust in them when it comes to car seats. I only passed my driving test a couple of months ago so it’s hugely important to me that Rosie is as safe as safe can be when I’m crossing my fingers as I squeeze past a lorry!
The impact shield is an extra part of the seat that slots in once you’ve sat your child down. It’s made of highly shock-absorbing materials and offers the best impact protection in the event of a head-on collision. The risk of dangerous neck injuries is reduced as the impact forces are directed into the impact shield, preventing your baby’s head from being thrown about. And if that wasn’t enough, an additional energy-absorbing layer has now been integrated into the surface in the Energy Pro. The high-performance material installed at the core of the original shield has, to date, absorbed 60% of the energy created in a crash – so the newly integrated layer takes care of the remaining 40%.
At first, I thought this extra bit (the impact shield) would annoy Rosie, as it slots in either side and across her body, but she actually really likes it. She waits with a big grin on her face as you’re strapping her in and likes to loll her head on it when she’s tired.
The price tag is pretty parent friendly at £169.90. It’s not the cheapest car seat out there, but it’s certainly not the most expensive, so for all that research, testing and safety, it’s a pretty good buy!
What to watch out for
I’m sure it will be fine but once the impact shield is slotted in, there doesn’t seem a whole lot of space for a 4-year-old body. Rosie’s only 1 so it’s fine for her, but as she starts growing into a toddler and child, she might not be so keen to have something so large across her tummy.
There’s no way of swiveling the car seat, which is a design idea I’ve seen on other makes and models and really like. And so far, Rosie has slept a lot less that she would have done in her old Group 0+ car seat, but I suppose that’s to be expected now she faces forwards and it reclines in a different way.
The instructions aren’t very clear – you have to look at images and then work it out for yourself. It’s probably very obvious for a lot of people, particularly those with older children who’ve been through all this before, but setting everything up for the first time was a bit of a struggle for me and my husband, and I’m still a little unsure how to recline it.
The other downside (although it’s also a plus point) is it doesn’t use an ISOFIX system so you will have to strap your child in with the seat belt, which slots into the impact shield. This obviously takes a little bit longer but Kiddy has researched this and purposely uses this method because it’s the safest, so I do think it’s worth the extra couple of minutes.
Who is the Kiddy Energy Pro car seat best for?
Safety-conscious parents who want a highly regarded, stylish option minus the hefty price tag.
The Kiddy Energy Pro is a great looking car seat with a fantastic safety record. Much as some parents might like a few more bells and whistles, this is a top-notch piece of kit, especially for those who don’t want ISOFIX.
Latest deals from trusted retailers
|Model||Energy Pro car seat|
|Child age (approx)||9 months to 4 years|
Dimensions & Weight
|Removeable cover for washing||Yes|
|Height adjustible headrest||Yes|
|Optional extras||Accessories such as aqua paint and baby book on detachable tag|