What to buy before your baby arrives – the very useful
A shopping checklist of items you'll find very useful for your new baby, but which aren't essentials for every mum or dad.
Shopping in pregnancy for your baby doesn't have to be confusing. While there are some essentials you just can't do without, such as nappies, there are other baby items that fall into the "very useful" category. These can make life as a new parent much easier, but when it comes down to it, they aren't absolutely vital for all families. You might decide you can do without these because you're on a tight budget or because they don't fit with your parenting preferences. Either way, make sure you take a look and decide which baby products you need to consider adding to your baby shopping list. You can also download and print off a version of this checklist to take with you.
Baby items that are very useful to have
- Room thermometer, if your baby monitor doesn’t have one
- Baby rocker or bouncer
Nappy changing and bathing:
- Changing bag and mat
- Wipes (from 2 weeks)
- Baby nail scissors
- 2-3 flannels/wash cloths
- Nappy bucket if using reusable nappies
- Baby bath or bath support or non-slip bathing mat
- Bath thermometer
- 2-3 sleep bras, if you find you need the support
- Breastfeeding pillow
- Breast pump
- Breast milk storage containers/bags
- Nipple shields
- Breast pump, if planning to express/combine feed
- Breast milk storage containers/bags, if planning to express/combine feed
Download our free, easy-to-follow baby "useful to have" checklist to print out and take shopping
Six big family moments that matter – and the products that make them easier to navigate
These products from John Lewis & Partners help support the memorable moments of family life.