Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Makes 4 portions
Suitable for freezing
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 red onion (75g), chopped
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 150g lean braising steak, diced
• 2 tbsp flour
• 150g carrots, peeled, sliced
• 85g parsnip, peeled, sliced
• 250g sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
• 400ml unsalted stock
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan or small casserole. Sauté the onion for 3 to 4 minutes, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
2. Toss the steak in flour and sauté until sealed. Add the veg, bay leaf and parsley and pour over the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour
45 minutes, or until meat is tender.
3. Blend, adding as much liquid as is necessary to make a smooth purée.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com