Five different vegetables are blended into this tasty tomato sauce. Passata is simply sieved tomatoes, which you can buy in a bottle or carton in any supermarket. Mascarpone is an Italian cream cheese, which you could leave out if you prefer.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: Around 20 minutes
Makes 4 portions
Suitable for freezing
• 1tbsp olive oil
• 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
• 25g (1oz) carrot, chopped
• 25g (1oz) courgette, chopped
• 15g (½oz) celery, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 50g (2oz) button mushrooms
• 400g (14oz) passata
• 2tbsp torn basil leaves (optional)
• 100g (4oz) mascarpone cheese
• 200g (7oz) Annabel Karmel’s Animal Pasta, cooked according to the packet instructions
1. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion, carrot, courgette and celery for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 further minute. Tip in the button mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes more.
2. Stir in the passata, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from the heat, add the basil (if using) and blend in a food processor. Return to the pan and add the mascarpone cheese. Stir until melted and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Serve with the Animal Pasta.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com