What is it?
Find it in Jesmond Dene, Newcastle. The SatNav postcode is NE7 7BQ.
Toddlers & Preschool / 5 – 8 / 9 – 12
Babies / 12+
What’s on offer
Perfect for small children and animal lovers, just about everyone will find that Pets Corner is a real treat. It’s home to animals including magnificent peacocks, wild birds, fluffy alpacas, pot-bellied pigs and adorable bunnies, all thanks to the volunteer workers who keep this animal area up and running.
Mini-handling sessions are on offer for small children once a month. Please check the website for full details and up-to-date times.
In addition to the wide variety of farmyard animals and pets living at the park, there is also a captivating children’s playground at Jesmond Dene, in addition to a charming café and an outdoor picnic area. On sunny days, the ice cream van usually pulls up right by Pets Corner.
There are toilets in the café. Car parking can be found along Benton Bank.
It’s inexpensive, designed for families with cute animals and a little park. What more could you want?
What to watch out for
- It can get quite busy!
- You’re not allowed to feed any of the animals as they’re all on special diets.
- Pets Corner cannot re-home any animals.
- If there is a veterinary emergency, the staff at Pets Corner may be called away and the park will have to close down early.
- It’s closed on bank holidays, but open 7 days a week usually.
- You might see a few rats at Pets Corner, according to one disgruntled TripAdvisor user. Please remember it is an outdoor attraction and that rats are not necessarily unclean.
- There are hand sanitizers on site. You need to use before you leave the park to avoid spreading any germs.
- Be careful of mud, as the park can get quite slippy on rainy days.
- It might not be perfect and it’s no giant zoo, but it’s a lovely free family day out.
- If you’re paranoid about germs on little hands, just pop a pack of baby wipes into your bag to keep their hands clean. Problem solved.
- Visit on a Sunday lunchtime/afternoon after stopping at the famous Armstrong Bridge arts and crafts market, which is just above Jesmond Dene park. It starts at 10am.
- Expect to spend around three hours here if you include some playtime and a picnic in the visit.
What the owners say
“Pets Corner, in the heart of Jesmond Dene, is a popular, family-friendly visitor attraction. You'll find animals of all shapes and sizes, including alpacas, pot-bellied pigs, goats and sheep alongside rabbits and colourful birds and much more!
Pets Corner re-opened in February 2011 after a £6m regeneration programme, which included a brand new visitor centre, upgraded Pets Corner and a fantastic play area for Under 8s. Next door to the visitor centre is Millfield House café and toilets.”
More like this
Read more days out guides to North East England...