What is it?
It’s a range of activities and play equipment inside a gorgeous country park/campsite. Find it in River Dart County Park, Ashburton, located in the South Devon countryside. The Sat Nav postcode is TQ13 7NP.
5 – 8 / 9 – 12 / 12+
Toddlers & Preschool
£££- Anyone over the age of 5 years is charged £8.25 to enter. 3 – 4 year olds entry costs £4.25. Any child under 3 goes free.
What’s on offer
River Dart County Park in Dartmoor offers a large campsite for families with a wide range of exciting, adrenaline-pumping activities for older and younger children. If you don’t fancy camping, you can still enjoy all of the adventure.
Children who live for high-octane sports activities and love to be expel energy will definitely want to get going with the River Dart Adventures – starting with the Commando Assault and low ropes courses for older and younger children. There are also zip wires. During high season, ‘dare devil’ activities like canoeing, high ropes, climbing, zorbing, kayaking and water fights can be enjoyed.
For youngsters who simply like to play, there is a variety of apparatus to choose from, including a pirate ship, wooden play fort, jungle fun and snake slides. For youngsters of toddler age, parents can rest easy whilst the little ones enjoy the Toddler Beach and Toddler Playground away from the older kids.
If playtime becomes too much, you can always take your child on a scenic walk by the River Dart or follow an exciting nature or tree trail.
River Dart Adventures has excellent facilities; clean toilets, decent cafe and a camping shop filled with useful items for both campers and visiting families (water pistols, anyone?)
Most TripAdvisor users praise the activities for children, saying how “great” River Dart Adventures is for them. Families seem to agree that there’s so much to do, it’s great value for money and that the facilities are excellent. Surprisingly, the toilets are quite clean given the location and messy nature of the activities.
What to watch out for
- River Dart County Park is open for visitors all year round BUT River Dart Adventures (the activities described above) are only available from Early April – Late September. We’d advise you to check the opening times for current information before booking anything.
- Look out for signs as you approach the park or else your Sat Nav might take you on a little adventure to the middle of a Dartmoor field!
- Many of the Dare Devil activities cost extra. Whether or not the “small” fee advertised on the website is accurate, you can expect to be putting your hand in your pocket for some of the bigger stuff.
- Dare Devils activities are available throughout the school holidays, during the summer and other peak periods. Please make sure you check the current opening times on the website before visiting.
- It costs £3.50 to bring a dog in with you.
Anyone staying at River Dart’s camp site, tourist site or accommodation will get free entry into the adventure park.
The website sometimes has special offers, so get searching!
If you’re planning on getting totally involved in what’s on offer, you and the kids will probably want to bring wetsuits! The water will be cold.
What the owners say
“With over ninety acres of woods, scenic walks and beautiful lakes, the River Dart and breath taking parkland is the perfect setting for all kinds of outdoor activities and occasions.
At River Dart Adventures, children can rough-and-tumble over space nets, swing through trees on jungle ropes, or even capture a wooden pirate ship surrounded by water! Toddlers aren’t left out either with our Toddlers Beach and Playground (Lilliput), just perfect for tiny explorers.”
Visit the official River Dart Adventures website
Discover more of South Devon with our MFM days out guides…
South Devon Railway
Woodlands Leisure Park
Crealy’s Great Adventure Park
Miniature Pony Centre
Babbacombe Miniature Village