There are five different vegetables in this sauce, which you can also use to make cottage pie or lasagne.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
Makes 4 portions
Suitable for freezing
• 2tbsp olive oil
• 1 small red onion, finely chopped
• 1 small leek, finely sliced
• 3 mushrooms, sliced
• 1 carrot, grated
• 1 stick celery, diced
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 300ml (½pt) beef stock
• 250g (9oz) minced beef
• 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
• 3tbsp tomato purée
• 1tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
• 250g (9oz) Annabel’s Mini Organic Shell Pasta (from Boots)
What to do:
1. Heat 1tbsp of oil in a pan and sauté the onion for 3 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and sauté for 7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
2. Add half the beef stock and simmer for 10 minutes, then purée the mixture in a blender.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and brown the mince for 5 minutes, breaking up well with a spoon. Add the tomatoes, purée, paste and the remaining stock and cook for 10 minutes. Add the vegetable purée and cook for 2 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to instructions, drain and toss with the sauce. Serve in ramekins, for novelty value.