- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- ½ stick celery, diced
- ¼ small red pepper, diced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ eating apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 450g minced beef
- 4tbsp tomato purée
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 250ml beef stock
- ¼tsp dried oregano
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the vegetables, apple and garlic for 10 minutes, until soft. Transfer to a blender and add the chopped tomatoes, then whizz until smooth.
2. Wipe the frying pan clean with a piece of kitchen paper, then add the minced beef and dry fry over a medium-high heat, breaking the mince up with a wooden spoon, until browned (you may need to do this in two batches). If your child likes a finer texture, you can then transfer the browned mince to a food processor and whizz until well chopped.
3. Add the tomato and vegetable sauce to the mince then stir in the tomato purée, ketchup, stock and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook for 40 to 45 minutes, until the sauce is thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper for adults. Serve with pasta.