Whether it’s losing yourself in an action-packed Marvel saga, channelling your inner detective with a bit of Only Murders in the Building, or bonding as a family over the adventures of Buzz Lightyear, nobody needs to feel bored at home when they’ve got Disney+ at their disposal.
Of course, now the summer months have rolled around (finally!) it’s likely you and your loved ones will be off travelling, enjoying time outdoors or simply spending more time away from your normal screens at home. You may not always have Wi-Fi or a signal, but the good news is that it’s still easy for the whole family to watch great movies and series while on the go.
For just £7.99 a month (or 16% less if you pay £79.90 for the full year), Disney+ lets you enjoy unbelievable entertainment, at an unbelievable price. As well as classic Disney favourites, the service is home to exclusive originals, as well as big-screen blockbusters. But before you dive in, we’ve put together a few handy tips and recommendations to help you and your family make the most out of your streaming experience, wherever you may be.
How do I download Disney+ movies and series onto my devices?
Once you’ve downloaded the app from your chosen app store, it’s simple:
- Select the content you want to download
- Tap the Download button on the Details page
- Begin downloading
- A device icon with a check mark will appear when your download is complete
What if I need extra room for downloads?
If you’ve already used up a lot of storage on your device, you may have trouble downloading additional movies and TV series.
To check how much storage you have available, launch the Disney+ app on your device and go to the Profile icon. Select App Settings and you’ll see the available device storage space is displayed at the bottom.
For a quick fix, go to Video Quality and check Standard, Medium or High. Standard requires the least storage and is the fastest to download, while Medium and High require more storage and more time to download.
More like this
Deleting downloaded Disney+ content is, of course, another way you can free up space. To do this, go to the Downloads icon in the app.
- For movies, tap the device icon with a tick next to the title you wish to delete
- For episodes, tap the series, then click on the device icon with a tick next to each title you wish to delete
- Once you have done this, select Remove Download to delete the content from your device
Quick Tip: To remove multiple downloads at once, tap Edit, select the titles you wish to delete, then click on the Trash icon. Logging out of your Disney+ account will also remove all downloaded content from your device.
Don't miss this summer!Whether you’re looking for some quality family viewing, or even something to watch when the kids are in bed, you won’t be short of things to enjoy on Disney+. From blockbuster movies to exclusive original series, here’s just some of the content you can stream now or very, very soon…
- Lightyear (6+) – The definitive origin story of Buzz Lightyear, the legendary space ranger who inspired the toy (Streaming 3 August)
- Encanto (6+) – This charming movie follows the Madrigals, an extraordinary family living in a magical house in the Colombian mountains
- She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (12+) – A new comedy series about a lawyer who specialises in superhuman-oriented legal cases (Streaming 17 August)
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (14+) – Journey into the unknown with Doctor Strange as he traverses the Multiverse to confront a mysterious new adversary
- Only Murders In The Building (16+) – Latest season of this humorous murder mystery caper starring Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez
- Fire Island (16+) – A modern-day, multicultural examination of queerness and romance, inspired by Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice
Can I download Disney+ onto multiple devices?
Yes, which makes it really useful when away from home. You can download your favourite series and movies on up to 10 devices at any given time. You can also watch on 4 devices at the same time and set up as many as 7 different profiles, so all the family can tailor their viewing to their liking.
If I’m travelling with a gaming console, can I use that to watch?
Absolutely. The Disney+ app is available to stream on PlayStation 4, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
Is it possible for the kids to watch movies and series in the car?
Yes, by downloading some series and movies in advance on more than one device, your kids can watch the same movie together or different series on each of their devices. If they’re watching together you may want to invest in a portable tablet holder, which can be attached to the back of the seat in front of them. Headphones can be useful, and we’d recommend going for a wireless set for ease. Unfortunately, even with all this, we can’t promise you won’t hear at least one, “Are we there yet?”
Sign up and save!
Start streaming now for just £7.99 a month, or with an annual subscription at £79.90 a year.
How do I know my children are watching suitable shows on different devices?
Disney+ offers multiple parental control features for you to use, such as content ratings, which can be set for each profile. Once set, series and movies rated higher than the profile’s content rating will not be shown when browsing or searching the platform.
To set parental controls:
- Head to the Profile page
- Select Edit
- Select your chosen profile
- Under Parental Controls, select Content Rating
- Enter your password, choose the content rating you’d like to set, and save
If you set up a Kid’s Profile, you’ll get an easy-to-navigate interface that will only ever feature content that’s suitable for young viewers. You can also enable the Kid-Proof Exit feature to ensure young viewers aren’t selecting other profiles without completing an exit challenge.
You can also set up or manage a 4-digit PIN for each profile. To do this, select your chosen profile following the steps previously mentioned, then choose Profile PIN under Parental Controls.
How do I watch movies and series outside?
Enjoying some al fresco viewing, ideally with feet dipped in a paddling pool or soft grass, isn’t always easy in bright sunlight. Your first port of call should be increasing the brightness on your device, but if that’s not enough, laptop hoods and sun screens are also available to buy. Alternatively, you could have a go at creating a makeshift shield for your screen by positioning it in a cardboard box to block out the direct sun.
Want to find out more about Disney+? Click here.
Six big family moments that matter – and the products that make them easier to navigate
These products from John Lewis & Partners help support the memorable moments of family life.