With Take 10 to Play, brought to you with LEGO® DUPLO®, you can discover 10 brilliant 10-minute games to play with your child. Each game is specially designed to boost early learning, and to help you and your child create and connect together – for a smile-filled session of family fun.
This game is brilliant for introducing your child to key numeracy concepts such as speed (fast and slow) and order (1st, 2nd, and last). Using these terms when you talk together about how the cars come down the ramp helps embed an understanding of how and why maths is useful.
Here’s how to play Roaring Ramps
What you’ll need:
- Masking tape
- LEGO® DUPLO® toy vehicles (such as those in the My First Car Creations Set)
If you don’t have any LEGO® DUPLO® vehicles, you can use other small toy vehicles
How to play
- Cut the cardboard to a long, wide strip.
- Tape your cardboard strip to the leg of a chair to make a ramp.
- Encourage your child to place a toy vehicle at the top of the ramp.
- Get your child to let the vehicle go and make a roaring car noise as it whizzes down.
- Where will it stop? Race down another car: which one goes faster? Which one came first? And which one last?
Extra ways to play Roaring Ramps – for extra learning!
- Fix ramps to other chair legs – at different heights – and see how much faster or slower the vehicles go down them. Which ramp is the fastest?
- Decorate the ramps with road markings and ‘Start’ signs
- Use the masking tape to mark out the road at the bottom of the ramp – and see how well the vehicles can stay on it
- Race vehicles down ramps of the same height. Do some vehicles go further than others? Why is that? Does your vehicle go faster and further if you push it at the start? Or if it runs onto carpet or floorboards?
More great Take 10 to Play ideas for games to play with your child
Set the stage for your child to cause a right scene (in a good, imagination-boosting way) with this simple but clever shadowplay idea. Oooh, what a drama!
- How to play Shadow Theatre
Shuttle & Stack
Move those legs, control those hands: this fast-paced, brick-fetching mini relay game buffs up your child’s motor-skills – and burns off lots of energy.
- How to play Shuttle & Stack
And if you want some singing fun, too
All aboard for a locomotive singalong with the LEGO® DUPLO® Train Song! Watch and sing as the cargo train and the parcel train toot along the tracks and go ‘up’ and ‘down’, ‘above’, ‘below’ and ‘round and round’. Keep an eye out for the bunnies, whales – and (if you watch really carefully) a surprise squirrel!