With Take 10 to Play, brought to you with LEGO® DUPLO®, you can discover 10 brilliant 10-minute games to play with your child. Each game is specially designed to boost early learning, and to help you and your child create and connect together – for a smile-filled session of family fun.
This game is great for boosting your child’s visual-spatial and shape recognition skills, both of which are key to developing good maths skills. Pattern-recreation games like this also help encourage problem-solving, a logical-thinking skill that boosts your child understanding of the world.
Here’s how to play Spot the Shape
What you’ll need:
- A4 paper
- LEGO® DUPLO® bricks (such as those in the Deluxe Brick Box)
If you don’t have any LEGO® DUPLO® bricks, you can use small wooden blocks or other cube-shaped objects
How to play
- Make a simple shape (say, an L-shape) by linking LEGO® DUPLO® bricks.
- Draw around the shape, then take the bricks away and draw in lines where the bricks connected with each other. This way, you get a shape that’s divided up into separate areas (or ‘holes’) and each area is the exact size and shape of a LEGO® DUPLO® brick.
- Get your child to match a LEGO® DUPLO® brick to each area/hole on the paper until they have recreated the shape you made at the beginning.
Extra ways to play Spot the Shape – for extra learning!
- Make the shape more complicated
- Don’t draw in the internal lines
- Time how long it takes your child to solve the puzzle
- Don’t use paper – get your child to build same shape as you without any help, other than looking at your shape themselves
More great Take 10 to Play ideas for games to play with your child
Set the stage for your child to cause a right scene (in a good, imagination-boosting way) with this simple but clever shadowplay idea. Oooh, what a drama!
- How to play Shadow Theatre
Can you tell what makes that noise? A sound-recognition and categorising game that’s super-easy to set up – and a right giggle (or woof or nee-nar) to play together.
- How to play Sound Bingo