How much sugar is in your child's favourite ice lolly?
How much sugar's in a Fab? A Mini Milk? A Fruit Pastille lolly? Check out our handy rundown of the most popular ice creams and ice lollies and their sugar content, ranked from lowest to highest...
Ice lollies are great for keeping kids (and grown-ups) cool on hot, sunny days - which we've had plenty of this summer ?
Given the recent heatwave, we thought we’d take a good look at the sugar content of some of the most popular frozen treats, by measuring out how much sugar's in each lolly, so we can really see how much is in there.
Handy if your kids love the stuff, and you'd prefer to pick a slightly less sweet option...
Keep in mind that kids aged 4 – 6 are recommended to have 19g (approx 4 + ¾ teaspoons) of sugar a day - and 24g (approx 6 teaspoons) for kids aged 7 – 10…
Important things to note
Measuring in tsp isn’t an exact science – some like a level teaspoon, whereas others would heap the sugar on high.
For the sake of our test (and measuring out the sugar in the pics), we’ve worked things out in level teaspoons, equaling 4g each.
Also, we should add here that when measuring out sugar for the pics, we've done a tiny bit of rounding up where necessary (e.g. we've used 8g where it says 8.1g, and 11g where it says 10.9g).
Ranked from lowest sugar to highest, here’s the sugar content for popular ice lollies (per lolly)…
1. Jude’s Mini Milks (Vanilla & Strawberry) - 2.8g sugar / approx ¾ tsp
2. Wall's Mini Milks 23g – 4.1g sugar / approx 1 tsp
3. Mr Freeze Strawberry Jubbly Lollies - 4g sugar / approx 1 tsp
4. Twister Mini – 7g sugar / approx 1 + ¾ tsp
5. Wall's Funny Feet - 8g sugar / approx 2 tsp
6. Ms Molly’s Choc Ice – 8.1g sugar / approx 2 tsp
7. Tesco Rocket Lolly – 8.5g sugar / approx 2 + ¼ tsp
8. Fab – 10.9g sugar / approx 2 + ¾ tsp
9. Smarties Ice Cream Cone – 11.6g sugars / approx 3 tsp
10. Fruit Pastille Lolly (65ml) – 13.3g sugar / approx 3 + ¼ tsp
11. Jude’s Ice Cream Mini Tub (Very Vanilla, 100ml) – 13.9g sugars / approx 3 + ½ tsp
12. Exotic Solero - 17g sugar / approx 4 + ¼ tsp
13. Vimto Mixed Fruit (100ml) - 18.8g sugar l / approx 4 + ¾ tsp
14. Feast Original – 19g sugar / approx 4 + ¾ tsp
15. Calippo Orange – 20g sugar / approx 5 tsp
16. Nobbly Bobbly – 23.3g sugar / approx 5 + ¾ tsp
Have your say
Do you try to keep an eye on how much sugar your little one has? Or do you try not to worry too much? Tell us in the comments below, on Instagram or over on Facebook
Six big family moments that matter – and the products that make them easier to navigate
These products from John Lewis & Partners help support the memorable moments of family life.