In August 2011, Tracey and Jamie Warner’s daughter Emily, 2, had a cord blind accident, which saw her pass away four months later because of issues stemming from brain injuries. A coroner has now ruled that her death was a “tragic accident”, resulting from being tangled in the blind cord in her bedroom.
Now, Emily’s parents have helped launch a Hertfordshire-based campaign to raise awareness amongst parents and carers, the Royston News reports. Jamie said the purpose of this RoSPA-backed campaign is to help ensure, “no other families have to go through what we’ve been through.”
Since 2004, RoSPA has been campaigning to change the EU standards, to ensure that all cords have a safety mechanism that will either keep cords tied away from children or break if a child becomes tangled.
After a 2010 summit, in which RoSPA met with delegates from furnishing giants such as IKEA, John Lewis and B&Q, it is hoped calls for change will be strengthened and widened.
However, even if standards are changed for new blinds, there’s no guarantee parents will act to change looped cords already in their own home. As part of RoSPA’s make it safe guidelines, the advice is that you need to act now for the long-term. Simply cutting a cord isn’t recommended. Cutting the cord could cause the blind to become inoperable, with the cord become longer and looser as a result. More permanent solutions, such as switching to cordless blinds, is thought to be the ideal course of action.