Toddler served sangria instead of juice in restaurant mix-up

The 2-year-old was taken to hospital after 'accidental alcohol ingestion'

toddler-served-sangria-instead-of-juice-in-restaurant-mix-up_86023

A US family say they’re still in shock after realising their 2-year-old daughter had been served sangria, instead of cranberry juice, at a restaurant in North Carolina.

Advertisement

Tiffany and Derek Gilliam ordered food and non-alcoholic drinks, including juice for their daughter Gabriella. But it wasn’t until Gabriella complained her drink tasted funny that they realised the waitress had made a mistake – and had accidentally served the toddler an alcoholic drink.

The Gilliams took Gabriella to hospital, where they say she was treated for accidental alcohol ingestion. “She was staggering and she was kissing everything,” mum Tiffany told ABC News. “I had to rub her belly the whole night and she slept with us because I was scared that she might not wake up – that she’d choke on her throw up and not wake up. It was the most horrible feeling ever.”

The Texas Roadhouse restaurant where the incident occurred has since apologised for the mix-up. “Unfortunately, we did accidentally serve sangria to the child,” a spokesman said in an email Monday. “We are 100% in error. Our processes and procedures are designed to prevent this from happening, but unfortunately, human error occurred.” 

The restaurant spokesman added that, although the Gilliams said Gabriella was treated for accidental alcohol ingestion, they understood that doctors had eventually discharged the toddler ‘with no effects of alcohol’.

Photo: ABC News

Read more:

Advertisement

Comments ()

Please read our Chat guidelines.