Eggs are quick to prepare and nutritious. You can add a variety of ingredients like sautéed diced sweet pepper or chopped tomato.
Until your child is one, scrambled egg should be cooked until the white and yolk are solid and not runny. This is good served with fingers of buttered toast.
Makes 1 portion
• 1 egg
• 1 tbsp milk
• 15g butter
• 1 tbsp finely grated Cheddar cheese
• 1 tomato, skinned and deseeded (optional)
1. Beat the egg with the milk.
2. Melt the butter over a low heat, then add the egg mixture. Cook slowly, stirring constantly.
3. When the mixture has thickened and looks soft and creamily set, add the cheese and chopped tomato. Heat through and serve immediately.
For older kids, fry two teaspoons of diced onion and sweet pepper in butter until softened. Beat a large egg with a tablespoon of milk, season with a little salt and pepper and cook over a low heat stirring until gently scrambled. Heat a tortilla in a microwave or in a dry frying pan, spoon the scrambled egg near one end of the tortilla and roll up. Cut in half diagonally and serve.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com