This recipe uses chicken thighs, which make for a smoother purée. You could also use fresh herbs instead of dried, such as a sprig of thyme, if you have some. Just remember to remove the herbs before you purée the mixture in a food processor.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Makes 5 portions
Suitable for freezing
• 1tbsp mild olive oil
• 50g (2oz) onion, chopped
• 125g (5oz) carrot, peeled and chopped
• 15g (½oz) celery, chopped
• 1 chicken thigh (about 75g/6oz), skinned and trimmed of fat
• 1 large potato (about 200g/7oz), peeled and chopped
• 200g can chopped tomatoes
• pinch of mixed dried herbs
• 75ml (3fl oz) unsalted chicken stock
1. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion, carrot and celery for 7 to 8 minutes.
2. Add the chicken thigh to the pan and sauté until sealed. Tip in the potato, tomatoes, herbs and stock. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and strip off the meat. Purée with the vegetables.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com