All-in-one orange cake batter…
- 250g unsalted butter, softened, diced
- 250g self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- finely grated zest of 2 large oranges and juice of 1/2
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- For this batter, you can use an electric mixer with beater attachement, a food processor or a bowl and an electric whisk. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl, add the orange zest, sugar, butter and eggs. Beat together and lastly add the orange juice. Do not over-mix.
For the syrup (optional)…
- Juice of 1 orange
- 5 tbsp caster sugar
For the icing…
- 500g icing sugar, sifted
- 5–6 tbsp orange or lemon juice
To make the monsters…
- 500g white sugarpaste (or ready mixed colours of your choice – we used pink, green, red, yellow and blue, violet, orange and black food colour paste)
- 60g piping bag white royal icing, no. 1 nozzle
Makes 16 cupcakes, so don't forget to buy cupcake cases!
Thank you to Fiona Cairns for the recipe.