How to treat an electrical burn

Burns specialist Joanne Atkins explains what to do if your child suffers an electrical burn


Joanne Atkins, burns specialist and British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS) member, tells us, “Young children are most likely to get burnt because they’re mobile, have no sense of danger and often surprise their parents by how mobile they’ve suddenly become.”


Children may chew through a plug or wire, or touch a loose connection in an appliance.


The main concern is to make the area safe and isolate the cause. Keep yourself safe by turning the electrical source off at the wall. Once you have done this, follow the same steps for treatment as a water burn.

Comments ()

Please read our Chat guidelines.