Risotto with butternut squash
Suitable from 8+ months
Cooked rice with vegetables is soft to eat, so it’s a good way to introduce texture to your baby’s food. Butternut squash is rich in betacarotene, the plant form of vitamin A, which is important for growth, fighting infection, healthy skin and vision.
Makes 4 portions
Suitable for home freezing
• 25g butter
• 50g onion, chopped
• 100g basmati rice
• 450ml boiling water
• 150g butternut squash, chopped and peeled
• 3 ripe tomatoes skinned, deseeded and chopped
• 50g grated Cheddar cheese
1. Melt half the butter in a pan and sauté the onion until softened. Stir in the rice until well coated. Pour over the boiling water, cover and cook for 8 minutes over a high heat. Stir in the butternut squash, reduce the heat, cover and cook for around 12 minutes or until the water has been absorbed.
2. Melt the remaining butter in a small pan, add the chopped tomatoes and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese until melted.
3. Stir the tomato and cheese mixture into the cooked rice and serve.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com
Simple ways to help your child learn to be clever with money
Make learning about money simple and fun for your kids with these easy tips.