Preparation time: 6 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 portions
Not suitable for freezing
For the marinade:
*1 tbsp soy sauce
*2 tbsp ketchup
*1 tbsp white wine vinegar
*1/2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
*1 1/2 tbsp dark brown sugar
*2 x 200g salmon fillets skinned and cut into 4cm (1 1/2in) cubes
For the rice:
*200g basmati rice
*65g carrots, finely chopped
*75g frozen peas
*1 tsp vegetable oil
*1 egg, lightly beaten with a little salt
*65g onion, finely chopped
*2 tbsp soy sauce
*1 spring onion, finely sliced
*an ovenproof dish
*a baking tin, lined with tin foil
1. Place all the marinade ingredients (except the fish) in a pan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar dissolves. Pour into an ovenproof dish and leave to cool. Add the salmon and marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. Cook the rice in a pan of boiling water with the chopped carrots. About 4 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the frozen peas.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok and add the egg, tilting the pan so that it coats the base, and cook until it sets as a thin omelette. Remove from pan, roll into a sausage shape and cut into thin strips.
4. Add the butter to the pan and sauté the onion for 2 minutes and season. Add the rice mixture and the soy sauce. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Mix in the egg and spring onion and heat.
5. Pre-heat the grill and cook the salmon in the tin for 5 minutes, turning and basting occasionally until cooked.
6. Remove the salmon from the baking tin and serve with rice.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com