With Take 10 to Play, brought to you with LEGO® DUPLO®, you can discover 10 brilliant 10-minute games to play with your child. Each game is specially designed to boost early learning, and to help you and your child create and connect together – for a smile-filled session of family fun.
This game is great for boosting the motor (movement) skills your child needs to be able to do more things on their own: gross motor skills, controlling the big muscle movements used in running and walking, and fine motor skills, controlling the smaller movement hands make when picking things up neatly and building towers. It’s also a brilliant game for burning off a ton of toddler energy!
Here’s how to play Shuttle & Stack
What you’ll need:
- 4 plastic or paper plates
- LEGO® DUPLO® pieces (such as those in the Deluxe Brick Box)
If you don’t have any LEGO® DUPLO® pieces, you can use art and crafts tools (crayon, paintbrush, paper, glue etc) and change the last step to ‘encourage your child to create an art masterpiece with the pieces they’ve collected’.
How to play
- Put the plates out on the floor one behind the other, about a metre apart (if you’re outside, you may need to weight the plates down with a small stone).
- Put a DUPLO piece on each plate except the first one, which is your ‘starting line’.
- Take your child to the ‘starting line’ plate– about a metre in front of the 1st plate
- When you say ‘Go’, your child has to run to the 1st plate, pick up the DUPLO piece and bring it back to you at the starting line.
- Then your child has to run to the 2nd plate, pick up the DUPLO piece and bring it back to add to the starting line pile.
- Then your child has to run to the 3rd plate, pick up the DUPLO piece and bring it back to add to the starting line pile.
- Now, encourage your child to build something with the pieces they have collected
Extra ways to play Shuttle & Stack – for extra learning!
- Add more plates to the line
- Put more than 1 piece of LEGO® DUPLO® on each plate, so your child chooses which piece to pick up
- Ask your child to hop or jump to each plate, and run back
- Ask your child to pick up the LEGO® DUPLO® piece with just 1 hand or when standing on 1 leg
- Put lots of bits of LEGO® DUPLO® on each plate but ask your child only to choose the blue ones or the red ones or the animal ones
More great Take 10 to Play ideas for games to play with your child
Vrooom, beep, screech! Rev up the fun with this plunge-and-zoom vehicle-play game that will accelerate your child’s grasp of early-math concepts such as ‘faster’ and ‘slower’, and ‘first’ and ‘last’.
- How to play Roaring Ramps
Knock the socks off those early numeracy skills off with a simple sorting game that’ll help your child find their feet with early maths learning about ‘same’ and ‘different’
- How to play Sock Match