Slow-cooked beef stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- A little work
- Serves 5 - 6
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1 Onion. chopped to large chunks
- 2 Sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 500g Lean stewing beef, cubed
- 2tbsp Plain flour for dusting
- 1l Very low salt vegetable or beef stock
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp Tomato purée
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1tbsp Fresh thyme
- 1tbsp Parsley, chopped
- STEP 1
First, heat the oven to 160oC. Then warm the oil in a casserole or heavy saucepan and add the onion, celery, and carrot. Put the flour on a plate and toss the beef through until it’s well dusted, before adding to the pan.
- STEP 2
Next, add the butternut squash, followed by the stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes before putting in the oven to cook for a further 2½ hours.
- STEP 3
It should be ready when the meat is so tender it melts in the mouth. Sprinkle the parsley over the top and chop to desired consistency before serving.