14 month old survives chopstick up nose

Chinese toddler given surgery after chopstick goes into his brain

14-month-old-survives-chopstick-up-nose_10317

A 14-month-old boy is recovering from surgery after a chopstick was removed from his nose and brain. The boy had been playing with the chopstick when he accidentally fell on it. The stick went up his nose and lodged inside his brain.

Advertisement

“Four centimetres of the chopstick was inside his skull,” Doctor Sun Wei told CNN. “The position of the chopstick was very, very lucky for him.” If the chopstick had been a few millimetres either side or further in, the boy could have been paralysed or have died.

The boy’s mother had been washing up in the next door room when she heard him cry out. She found him on the ground with the chopstick in his nose. When the local medical clinic couldn’t help him, he was driven by a relative to a Beijing hospital – 10 hours away.

“I thought at that time, it’s all over, my boy will die,” said his father Li Guanglai.

Neurosurgeons at the hospital prepared the boy for surgery, fearing that removing the chopstick might cause internal bleeding. But the chopstick came out easily.

Advertisement

“This hospital gave him a second life,” said his delighted father. 

Comments ()

Please read our Chat guidelines.