A four-year-old from Ohio was given a vodka and peach schnapps slushy drink at an Outback restaurant, after the waitress reassured her parents that the drink was non-alcoholic, reports the Daily Mail.
“My sister asked if there was alcohol in them and she said no, so we all took one and the kids had a couple,” mum Kelly Kerwin said. However, after checking with the manager, he confessed that the beverages were alcoholic, and offered to refund the meals as well as give a donation to Kelly’s sister’s church.
“I couldn’t believe it. I don’t think it’s acceptable that my 4-year-old got her first taste of peach schnapps and vodka,” Kelly told her local radio station WXYZ.
“We sincerely regret the mistake and we have terminated the server’s employment,” a spokesperson for Outback said.
Accidentally giving alcohol to toddlers in restaurants seems to be a worrying a new trend, as the Kerwins’ story follows that of 15-month-old Dominic Dill-Reese, who was accidentally served a margarita cocktail with his kids’ meal at Applebee’s, in Michigan, instead of apple juice. He was rushed to hospital in April after his mum was baffled by his behaviour.
“He was saying ‘hi’ and ‘bye’ to the walls and then eventually lay his head on the table. He dozed off for a bit and woke up and got real happy,” said mum Taylor, who then tasted the drink herself to discover that it wasn’t the straight fruit juice they had ordered.