Update: We know this happened in 2014, but it’s still an important cautionary tale about Halloween safety.
Mum-of-3 Claudia Winkleman has issued a serious safety warning to parents before Bonfire Night, following a serious accident involving her daughter.
Her daughter Matilda has suffered burns after her Halloween costume caught fire on Friday night. It’s been reported that Matilda’s costume went up in flames after it came into contact with a candle placed in a carved-out pumpkin. It’s thought the accident happened while Matilda was out trick or treating.
“We would like to take this opportunity to remind anyone taking part in fireworks parties or Guy Fawkes celebrations to be vigilant about the dangers of candles, open fires and fireworks,” Claudia and her husband Kris Thykier said in a statement. “And please have the appropriate safety measures in place and to hand.”
Matilda’s terrifying accident is the reason why Claudia Winkleman missed last Saturday’s Strictly Come Dancing. It’s the kind of accident that makes us shudder – knowing how easily it could happen to any of our children.
8-year-old Matilda is still in hospital recovering. “She is having the best care possible and we are hopeful of a full recovery,” the couple’s statement read. “We would like to thank everyone who has been so supportive and particularly the NHS doctors, nurses and staff who have been absolutely incredible.”
London Fire Brigade deputy commissioner Rita Dexter added to Claudia’s warning. “It’s a shocking but timely reminder that open flames can be lethal if you don’t keep an eye on them or they are left unattended. Make sure candles are placed well away from flammable items and clothing, otherwise the results can be catastrophic.”