Furious mums of two toddlers who were mistakenly served alcohol while dining out have spoken of the horror of seeing them drunk and then taken to hospital.
Little Dominic Dill-Reese was eating out with his mum, Taylor, 18, when he began acting strangely. The 15-month-old began saying hello and goodbye to the walls after sipping from his drinking cup.
“He eventually laid his head down on the table and we thought he was just sleepy. He was a little ‘out there,’” said Taylor.
Concerned, the mum then tried some of her son’s drink and realised he had been served a margarita mixed cocktail instead of the apple juice she had ordered. Local police believe that a mislabeled bottle had caused the mistake.
“Nobody at the table ordered alcoholic drinks, so he definitely shouldn’t have received one,” said Taylor, who at 18-years-old is herself below the legal age to drink alcohol in America.
Just days later, a second boy was accidentally served alcohol in a similar mix-up.
Sangria, instead of orange juice, was given to Jill Van Heest’s 2-year-old son, Nikolai. The toddler suddenly began behaving noisily while climbing over the restaurant’s furniture.
While his mum thought he was misbehaving, a waiter rushed over, grabbed the cup of ‘juice’ and hurried away. It wasn’t until pregnant Jill asked the problem, that the waiter admitted a tropical sangria – consisting of orange and pineapple juice with white wine – was in the boy’s cup.
“This was an extremely regrettable accident caused by the failure of an employee to follow our strict operating rules. We offer our sincerest apologies to the family of the child…” said a spokesman for the restaurant involved.
Both boys were taken to hospital, where Nikolai was put on an IV drip and Dominic found to be over the legal limit for an adult driver.
Both boys have now made a full recovery.