A teaching assistant has been feeding dog treats to the children in her care.
That was the gobsmacking news delivered to the parents of 75 children at a US school in Pennsylvania a few days ago.
It’s not known why the assistant, employed as a part-time ‘playtime aide’ at Frederick School in New Hanover, gave the children, aged between 10 and 11, the dog biscuits. She’s said to have passed them off as ordinary ‘cookies’ – and no one is entirely sure how many of the children actually ate them.
The teaching assistant has been suspended while the incident is investigated
“She made it look like it was a joke that they were dog treats,” says schoolchild Gabriel Moore, who ate 3 of the treats. “And then she came around and said, ‘No, they are cookies. They are fine.”
Richard Faidley, superintendent of the Boyerton Area School District, sought to reassure parents saying, “Our research on the product indicates that the treat ingredients would not be harmful to people – with the exception of those individuals with specific food allergies.”